Bose Sound dock series 2

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macman4789, May 2, 2009.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting this, I've seen that it's got an auxillary input. Does this mean I can plug my imac to it and use it as desktop speakers? I want to use it primarily as computer speakers and then now and again plug my iphone 3g in.

Also if you can plug your imac in, will the quality of cable affect the sound quality?

Thanks

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

BOSE SoundDock II

First, yes you can hook it up to you iMac with a standard 1/8" to 1/8" cable.

Quality of the cable won't matter much as long as it is less than 6 feet and you don't have many devices between the iMac and the SoundDock. Don't buy into the Monster Cable hype!!

Personally, I am not so impressed with the Bose SoundDocks. I have a SoundDock portable, and if I had the chance to rethink the $400 purchase, I would have not bought it. I bought my old gf an Altec Lansing m600 or something like that for $130 and it is every bit as good sounding as the Bose, plus it has a radio and clock.

I never thought I would want analog radio, but it is quite nice sometimes, for NPR and just general listening when you don't feel like choosing amongst your many songs in your iTunes library.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice sound system, but I don't think it is worth $299.

The Griffin Amplifi iPod Speaker System, which I think is discontinued, is a steal for $150 retail.
    I have 2 friends that have this and so far I think it is the best sounding, good bass, and clean sound at high volumes and low too.

It also has an AUX in, but no radio. I have seen it recently on Buy.com for $52 but is currently $121. Also seen it a month ago for $72 on newegg.
    Depending what iPods/iPhones you have compatibilty might be an issue. Not for sound, but for charging.

http://www.buy.com/prod/griffin-amp...griffin-amplifi-ipod/q/loc/111/203533019.html

The Bose is good sounding but not worth it when getting the most for your dollar. There are many docks with AUX-ins that sound as good or better for less than half the cost.

Also check out www.ilounge.com for their reviews on iPod docks.

Good Luck