Bose Soundlink Mini for "near field" use on desk? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dowjohnny, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Hey everybody,

since my old 2.0 speaker system broke i am currently in the market for a replacement. Considering that i have a HiFi System for "serious" listening i thought that i might as well get a bluetooth speaker to add the portability factor and be able to take it with my MBA.

So far i am favoring the Bose sound link mini II but i'm not quite sure if it is any good for my intended use.. I would place it right under my screen on its foot and connect via bluetooth/line in, so it would not be very far away from me..

Can somebody who owns the sound link give advice how its qualities are on low to medium levels in the near field? I went to a electronic store but it was just too busy/noisy there to get a real impression..

Maybe there is someone out there who uses the sound link just the way i plan to do and can give some impressions =)

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

I have that piece of speaker and while it produces quite a good sound for its size and price, it is quite a centred sound, not really a stereo experience.

I have used that speaker for one month while on the road for 12.000 km as the rental mini van did only provide CD player and radio and no capabilities for any other input.
    Even at 200 kmph it produced a good sound to be listened to and was not low on volume.

As for a desktop speaker it is not really that good, I used it when playing in Windows and using that speaker to play music from my iPod.

If you want Bose, maybe look at the Companion series, I have had the Companion 2 II speakers and now have the Companion 20 speakers, both produce quite a good stereo sound for my probably not audiophile ears.

3. Dowjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Hm that is exactly what i was fearing, i already assumed that the sound using it outdoors or in rooms with higher volume would be nice but not so as a desktop.. I'm not focused on Bose but really like the idea of having a mobile speaker.. thats because i did not really look into 2.0 stereo speaker sets so far..

Thanks for sharing your experience!

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have a Logitech BT boombox and a Supertooth Disco; very happy with both units for the sound output and battery life...

The Supertooth also has volume and music controls where the logitech doesn't.

They are both larger units than the bose but they were also less expensive via Amazon.com and I believe they are a better balanced sound.

I also have a Monster Clarity HD speaker and I'd consider it a "micro" speaker.

It sounds good for its size and it was inexpensive (also via Amazon) and that's what I carry on my motorcycle for day trips (it can also be used as a phone hands free speaker).

For the prices, you can almost purchase all 3 for the cost of the Bose sound link unit.

Good luck with your decision.

5. Dowjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Thanks for your input, i will look into these speakers as well!

But the first and major decision is if a Bluetooth speaker will make sense as a desktop speaker to be used with my MBA concerning sound quality at lower volume and in the near field being placed under my external screen..

6. mfram macrumors 65816

A bluetooth speaker would be fine. For a while there weren't many on the market. Now there are lots more choices. I personally use the larger Bose Soundlink 2 and I think it has a decent stereo experience. But there are other choices on the market now.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have both the Soundlink Mini and the UE Boom that I am spending a week or two with, and will send one back. I think that either of these speakers are well suited to the kind of use you describe. Where I don't think they work well is in trying to fill a large area. They get loud enough to do so, but neither has the presence of a larger system. They work great though for 'nearfield' use especially at low to mid volumes - in fact I think they work better than many large systems for this use.

At this point I have pretty well decided on the UE over the Bose. However I realize that sound signatures are a personal preference. For me the Bose sounds far too bassy with most content. The Boom won't move air like the Bose, but at least I can tell what instrument is driving the rhythm even if I can't feel it as much. It sounds much cleaner and more natural on most of the content I listen to. I also find it far more convenient to travel with. No dedicated charger. Easily get a weeks worth of use from a charge. Feels less vulnerable to just toss in a bag. Good luck!