Bose Speakers

Titus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I have some Bose speakers that I used with my Dell system. My Imac 27 just arrived Friday and I tried to just plug them in but they didn't work. I'm new to Mac but love it so far. I installed Parallels 5, Windows 7 and the Windows-based software that I need for teaching but I really want better sound than what comes with the Imac.

Solutions? I'm willing to buy different speakers because I have another system that will need speakers. Since I'm doing all my music on the Mac, it seems like I should get some better quality sound.

Thanks for any tips, succestions.

Kim

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Make sure your output settings are set to line out and not internal speakers. Macs don't need special speakers.

Titus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
When I open Utilities and select Audio MIDI Setup, it doesn't show the speakers...only the internal ones. So there's nothing to select.

Titus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I've done both. When I click on the sound it gives me a menu:
Output Device (grayed out)
Internal Speakers (checked)
Input Device (grayed out)
Internal microphone
Line in (checked
Sound Preferences.

When go to sound preferences I don't get an option to change the speakers from internal to external.

Titus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I called Apple Support and they think it's a hardware problem. I wish I had tried the speakers before I installed parallels and all my software. The nearest Apple Repair is an hour away.

Titus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I actually have Harmon Kardon speakers for one of my PCs. They are good but I prefer Bose for music.