Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montblanc1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Which one has the best sound quality?

The cons for the Companion 5 is that it has static noise even when there is no music source, and it can not be eradicated. But the Companion 5 has an acoustic module so that I suppose it might be the best?

The cons for bose ipod soundportable is that it might have the worst sound quality? But it's portable so that you can enjor the music everywhere. I am afraid this product may be overpriced.

The radio wave system, as you can see, can only play radio, but you can make it a computer speaker if you got a cable OR you purchase the wireless Soundlink. But is the wave system as good as the Companion series???

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I have the companion 3 series 2 (the smaller version of the companion 5) and I would thoroughly recommend them - they are fantastic - but you need to understand their limitations.

Firstly, the background hum; yes this is annoying, you can't hear it when playing any sound, but it is very distracting. If I listen to music as I go to sleep, when it finishes, the hum is sufficiently loud/annoying that I have to mute them before I can sleep. Oddly I had them in a different room last year, and it was still noticeable, but not nearly as annoying.

The second thing is that the other two have remotes for volume and to turn on and off - there is no remote on the companions and no option of adding one. The 'acoustimass' control is excellent, but it is not wireless. The companions are also the least portable.

All three have very good sound (I know people with all three) but the companion is by far the best. The sound from the companion 3 fills my 25'x20' room no problem, so you may find that you don't need the added volume of the 5s.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
After careful thought I decided that none of them sound very good considering the price. Bose is a decent brand but you can do so much better for the money.

montblanc1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I have the companion 3 series 2 (the smaller version of the companion 5) and I would thoroughly recommend them - they are fantastic - but you need to understand their limitations.

Firstly, the background hum; yes this is annoying, you can't hear it when playing any sound, but it is very distracting. If I listen to music as I go to sleep, when it finishes, the hum is sufficiently loud/annoying that I have to mute them before I can sleep. Oddly I had them in a different room last year, and it was still noticeable, but not nearly as annoying.

The second thing is that the other two have remotes for volume and to turn on and off - there is no remote on the companions and no option of adding one. The 'acoustimass' control is excellent, but it is not wireless. The companions are also the least portable.

All three have very good sound (I know people with all three) but the companion is by far the best. The sound from the companion 3 fills my 25'x20' room no problem, so you may find that you don't need the added volume of the 5s.

Yeah, you are exactly right!!! Bose Companion 3's noise makes me freak out...

I am still wondering if Wave's sound could exceed the Companion...

I know sounddock is the worst in all bose Speakers

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
The wave is good, but the companions are in a completely different league. If wall-shuddering bass is less of a consideration and you appreciate portability, look at the musicmonitor too.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
After careful thought I decided that none of them sound very good considering the price. Bose is a decent brand but you can do so much better for the money.

Yep.

With some time and research you can nearly always get a better deal than Bose speakers. If aesthetics are not everything to you, I would recommend this route.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Try the soundlink portable speaker, it looks like a sounddock portable but doesn't have the dock. It does have Bluetooth to connect to any computer with Bluetooth as well as iOS devices. For $323, it was a steal.

With the Bluetooth connection, I have now eliminated another wire from my computing setup. It also has a conventional audio in jack as a backup.

Right now, my soundlink is my official iOS speaker.

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
honestly, you're better off with something else.

Bose specializes in grossly over-priced equipment and only middling sound quality.

I'd highly recommend you take a trip to head-fi.org and school yourself on *actual* good audio equipment. You can probably double the quality of sound you were going to pay for with Bose via another company. I learned my Bose lesson.

Fishdonkeys

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
Bose?

Hmm I have a wave radio which I use as a speaker for my iMac but do I get companion 5 or 3,

yes I love quality and loud music to but, I can turn my mac off with my mouse pad from bed as a remote
and my wave with remote to?

Also the humming noise from the companions sound worrying.
Are there any other systems suitable for my needs or is my wave radio the way forward?
Can I add further speakers to my wave maybe?
Help someone please ta!

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Bose is strangely perceived by the public as being audiophile, when they are almost universely rejected by most audiophiles.

I would stay far away from anything Bose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.