Boss Audio Launches New $210 CarPlay Receiver With 6.75-Inch Touchscreen

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

If you don't have a vehicle with CarPlay installed natively, there are a number of third-party aftermarket CarPlay receivers from companies like Alpine and Pioneer, which can be an affordable way to get CarPlay integration in your car.

Boss Audio, known for its range of car speakers and accessories, recently launched a new CarPlay receiver, the BVCP9685A, and its $250 price tag makes it one of the cheaper CarPlay options on the market. For a limited time, there's a $40 coupon available on Amazon, dropping the price even further to $210.

[​IMG]

The BVCP9685A from Boss Audio features a 6.75-inch capacitive touchscreen LCD, and the company says that this new version has a number of upgrades over the prior BVCP9675A option. The unit depth is now 5.3 inches instead of 6.7-inches, with the shallower body allowing for an easier installation process.

With proper car wiring, steering wheel controls and backup camera are supported, and an external mic improves voice pick up when giving voice commands to Siri.

[​IMG]

Other BVCP9685A features include Android Auto support, AM/FM radio receiver, RDS and RBDS tuner, Aux and AV input, subwoofer pre-amp outputs, USB charging, multi-color illumination, and true double din.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Boss Audio Launches New $210 CarPlay Receiver With 6.75-Inch Touchscreen

2. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Pffff. Mine's 7 inches, and Wireless, and still supports all of that. If it's not wireless, I don't want it.

3. riclf macrumors newbie

riclf

--- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2019 ---
    So... what's yours? Model and price?

4. vidjahgamz macrumors member

vidjahgamz

5. PC_tech macrumors newbie

6. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Well, there is a major price difference. Mine's a bit more expensive Mine's an Alpine, and doesn't support Android Auto. Specifically built for Apple Wireless CarPlay.
    Nice one. :D That's it.

7. PC_tech macrumors newbie

Been eyeing this myself due to the wireless

8. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Well it depends on what you consider difficult. Can you splice wires? Do you have good eyes to discern the different wires with different color patterns apart from each other? Can you read wiring diagrams?
    It's beautiful. Just make sure your GPS box is not covered. Otherwise it might make you navi act weird.

9. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but that’s not ‘luxury’ size. 7 inches would be more standard what I see in mid-level trim vehicles today. I would say anything 8 inches and above, allows for a much more viewing capability.

11. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Price is great, but no wireless support means I'll be waiting a little longer.

12. Karllake, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019

Karllake macrumors member

What are you talking about???? I fitted an aftermarket head unit like this and it involved none of the steps you described... there are companies that sell specific wiring loom converters so it’s litterally plug and play.. getting the dash open to see what you’re doing takes way longer than the wiring side, but anyone with some practical skills and YouTube can carry out the fitting.

13. JeffreyNewland macrumors newbie

JeffreyNewland

Anyway to check what vehicles are compatible with the unit?

14. Karllake macrumors member

As per my other post the hardest bit is getting a old unit out, you buy special wiring harnesses that convert the wiring on your model of car the head unit you buy, it should take about an hour to fit.

15. bstm05 macrumors newbie

Having wireless CarPlay would be cool but is it really worth spending an extra $400+ just for that feature? No..

Most of us like to have our phones charging while we drive, so that means we're going to have to plug in a cable anyways. Yes i know there's wireless Qi charging but its slow compared to USB.

That being said, for those interested in a budget CarPlay headunit should really check out the Soundstream VRCP-65. Its currently $199 on Amazon right now and supports CarPlay, Android PhoneLink, SiriusXM, Bluetooth, DVD, etc.

16. Karllake macrumors member

If you car has a ‘double din’ Already installed then you’re fine, if it’s got a car maker specific size then you can buy fitted head unit facia that matches the interior and then holds any double din unit.

I bought mine from here, really helpful customer services

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/

17. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I would want wire not wireless and lose audio quality

18. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

Not all. And depending on car.

19. cube macrumors P6

It depends on the car. On some it is impossible.

20. brucewayne macrumors regular

21. cube macrumors P6

22. ehrens macrumors member

ehrens

Boss Audio, huh? I can’t wait to see/hear how much this head unit is going to suck.

23. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Without knowing what vehicle are you planning on installing this into, it would be hard to tell. Some vehicles' radio are so integrated that it cannot be done.
    In addition, not sure about your skill set, that would be another variable.

24. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Attached Files: