Boss is having a nightmare experience with Apple/UPS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BadboyHouse, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

So my boss pre-ordered a new iPad via the Apple website as soon as they began to accept pre-orders. He also ordered a case for it as well.

He received the shipping confirmation for the items and everything was fine up to that point. They were scheduled to be delivered to the office by UPS by close of play last Friday.

Friday comes around and UPS deliver the case only. It gets signed for by the receptionist.

My boss later checks the tracking number online and it shows that two packages were delivered and signed for.

Only one package was delivered though.

Apple say that they can't do anything as it says the order has been signed for, and UPS are saying the same. It's now his word against theirs.

I've been trying to think if there's anything I can suggest that he might be able to do but so far I've not though of anything that he's not already done (call UPS, speak to team leaders etc).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It looks like your boss is out of luck. If its signed for its legally out of apple/ups's hands.

I have seen ups try to recover a package that's been delivered to an incorrect address, but if it was delivered to the right address I'm not sure what else can be done.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Check the UPS tracking number to see who signed for both packages and if they were signed out at the same time. Usually they will scan both packages in and require two separate signatures.

Is it possible it got swiped at the office?

4. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I bought two units and they came in 2 separate packages via Fedex. I only had it sign once.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

^ I was thinking the same thing. Any chance the receptionist or someone else took the other package. Not sure how big your office and how many people work there. But I guess the receptionist would have known how many packages came in. Do you have security cameras? At least at your front door to see how many packages were brought in with the UPS guy?

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Wow, indecision. Here are the steps to conflict resolution:

1. Contact Apple and speak to a CS who you can take down a CS number as well as a statement on what they can do. If this doesn't resolve the issue move to step 2.

2. Contact UPS to see if they can do anything. Same process as Step 1.

3. Contact your credit card provider and initiate a chargeback.

What what might be the problem is that your boss may have pre-ordered an iPad but only the smart cover got sent first because the iPad hasn't been cleared for delivery yet. It may take a while before the iPad is cleared for delivery. You can track the delivery of the iPad through Apple's order system. Normally, if an item is ready for delivery, they may send part of an order first.

7. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I guess your boss can try to call his credit card company. If he purchased it using AMEX, there's a good chance they will want to help.

From my personal experience with AMEX, they have always treated me very well.

8. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

They may not be "legally" responsible to locate your item but surely out of common decency one of the two sides should try and accommodate you and sort this out, considering the price of the item that is missing.

9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Yep, CCTV might reveal the culprit...UPS drivers don't steal..At least not in my time using them....I think this is an inside job unfortunately ....Could be tricky to sort out.

10. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately no CCTV footage. We're not a large business (40 staff).

UPS have their Investigations department looking at it at the moment so he'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

I'll let you know

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Good luck. Hopefully it's just in the back of a truck or the warehouse. Perhaps Apple CS can tell you if the serial number has been activated. If it hasn't been activated, it increases the odds that it is just stuck in transit somewhere. If it has, then an inside job may be more likely.

12. ato09 macrumors newbie

One thing that you could do is use the tracking number to track it even though it has been delivered and then check for the proof of delivery. The proof of delivery will tell where they dropped it off at and who signed for it (shows the sig). Not sure if it will help since you may know who signed for it already but figured it may help.

13. Brett.F macrumors member

From my experience, UPS has to scan each item before requesting a single signature. Once signed, the signer is confirming that all packages and items within the packages are accounted for. I think UPS would have noticed if a leftover package was sitting in the back of their truck at the end of the day. Good luck.

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

This is not true...However, the driver does scan both packages as he hands them over. If he only gave the girl the case, the iPad shouldn't have been scanned. And if it was, the underpaid receptionist just got a $600+ bonus!

15. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I'd say this is an inside job before I blame ups.

16. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Back in the warehouse would be preferable to an employee doing you...I hope it isn't I ran a small company for years and trusted all my staff...I still see them now, kids and all.