Boss Loop pedal through interface into Logic.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Dingo Bulldogs, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Dingo Bulldogs macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I use a BOSS RC-50 LOOP STATION, a M-AUDIO INTERACE, and I use LOGIC 9.
    What Im trying to do is use Logic to record myself playing some tracks live on the Loop station. I can get the interface to clearly hear whats coming through the loop station but when I try to hear it through the head phones on my mac in Logic, all I get is a high pitch squealing sound.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed and if so how???

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. quixotic macrumors regular

assuming that I understand you're problem correctly...

Sounds like a feedback loop. If that's it, make sure you use a Send for the track(s) that need to go to the Boss to be on a Bus that's using different outputs than what your recording/monitoring on.

Say you're recording on IN1&2 (your instrument), and IN3&4 (the Boss). Instrument and Boss BOTH go to OUT1&2, which is your headphones and usually a pair of 1/4 jacks as well. Instead of plugging OUT1&2 into your Boss, use OUT3&4 and setup a Send on the instrument track to go to a Bus using OUT3&4. Now, when you record, the Boss will still hear the instrument, but it won't feed back.

3. Dingo Bulldogs thread starter macrumors newbie

You may need to simplify that a little for me I'm afraid.
    I normally have one guitar and one mic plugged into the Loop station, then I usually run a guitar lead from the PHONES socket on the Loopstation and into the input on a mixer (when playing live). I was trying to do the same here. I guitar lead from PHONES to the Mic/Inst on the interface???

Ps.thanks for helping mate. Excuse my ignorance.

4. quixotic macrumors regular

These are one of those things that are infinitely easier to fix in person than write instructions for. But an easy diagnostic is to turn all the volumes to zero on everything that's connected. Keep the headphone volume to a bare minimum, then one by one, turn up the volumes, till you get the problem.

If you have noise, but it's not overwhelming your headphones (i.e. it's all you hear and it maxes out your headphones), it may not be feedback. Instead you may be picking up crap on your audio lines. It could be coming from anywhere; took me ages to figure out that a halogen lamp in the next room was the cause of some nasty buzzes in my tracks.

If thats it, turn off everything you can that's on the same circuit till you isolate the problem. My old monitor used to inject a lot of high frequency content into my audio till I moved all my gear about a meter away. Some equipment is shielded worse than others which is why it may not show up until you put it in your audio chain.