Boston area 3G coverage/speed - Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aze, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Aze macrumors newbie

On my iPhone around the Boston area (which is all blue, in theory, not in practice), even in places where I'm getting a full signal of 3G, the speeds according to inetworktest.com is ranging from as low as 5kb to a max of 66/kb. It seems that indoors (both home and at work), I in-turn get virtually zero 3g signal and am always on Edge.

I'm wondering what others experiences are in this area to determine if the issue is with the AT&T network here or with my phone.

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Yeah, I've been getting finicky speed test results, anywhere as low as 80kbps to 125-230kbps.

I just did one now and it's 223.5kbps.

I'm just gunna assume that it's all the new iphone 3g owners messing with the bandwidth.

I'd try again tonight during offpeak hours and I'm sure within a week or two speeds will pick back up again.

3. drconehead2000 macrumors member

178 kbps, 413 kbps, 110 kbps, 205.6 kbps, 68 kbps, 79.7 kbps.....just did those right now...but i swear it seems faster than than....

I am a dead smack in the center of Boston and those are my number...

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

if you're unsure of the speed of your phone and wanna stroke your ego...just go up to anyone who has a smartphone with a browser and ask to compare speed tests...then stomp on them by actually visiting a random website...I ran a test vs a coworker and he beat me on the inetwork tests but when i asked to do a random site test for ebay and nytimes...his samsung blackjack barely started rendering the page when i was already 75% loading, and when it came to NYtimes his version went to the mobile site while mine went to the full site...his mobile version loaded faster but my full version of NY times was already halfway loaded by the time his mobile version loaded.

So even with the speeds the safari browser beats em with faster rendering.

5. ACbc macrumors member

my 3G bars both indoors and outdoors is fine, but my web browsing over 3G is a bit slow at times. I too will blame all the new iphone users screwing the bandwidth.