Boston chosen as US Olympic candidate

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AustinIllini, Jan 8, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They can't host a Superbowl easily, how can they host an olympics. I don't see them winning the bid.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Boston? A town that, regardless how much time is between now and the Olympics, will still be antsy/anxious after the bombings and Tsarnaev? they will still be jittery about that, that it may impact the chances of them getting it.

I don't see it winning. SFO actually would have been a better choice, even if just based on access to the city alone.

BL.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

LA was the supposed front runner. I guess not. :p

They really didn't have a great choice of cities. D.C. no way. Boston no room. SF or LA were the best choices IMO.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I'd presumed that 2024 was the either Europe's or the USA's 'turn', but the selection of Boston doesn't appear to do much for the latter's chances.

I'd bet on Paris 1924, Paris 2024.

5. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

As much as I know that Boston won't win, I just wanted to hear Jerry Remy announcing the winners of the "Gold, Silvah and Brahnz".

Listening to that man calling out the names of players makes me giggle far too much.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Boston has a hard time hosting a Superbowl because of the climate. The Olympics are held in the summer when it's warmer.

Just because "Boston" submitted the bid does not mean everything has to be downtown, or even within the city limits of Boston. They found a way to make it work in Atlanta, and Atlanta doesn't have "the T" that Boston does. The USOC must have figured out how the logistics would work out to make a viable bid. The IOC actually ACCEPTING those logistics on the other hand...

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Where are they going to put everyone. They don't have enough hotels. This is the main reason why they can't support a Superbowl. Who cares about climate. NY did it, Chicago wants to host one. The issue is not weather it's infrastructure.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Did anyone see what other cities Boston would be up against internationally?

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Rome is the only other city bidding at the moment. Germany will submit either Hamburg or Berlin, France and Hungary are also considering.

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

A Wikipedia entry states that Rome and Boston are the only two applicants to date but also says that the initial 'Invitation Phase' doesn't actually start until 15 January.

I'd bet the farm on Paris if they actually submit a bid.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I would as well, although if they get their act together, Cape Town or Johannesburg would have a good chance, because IIRC, Africa and Antarctica are the only remaining continents to not host an Olympic games, and while I think that McMurdo Station would be a great place for the winter games (and more exotic a location than Boston), I just don't think it has enough infrastructure to house everyone. :p

BL.