Boston iPhone 3G owner having trouble with network/phone today, anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luke1robb, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So my girlfriend and I have been experiencing some trouble today with our iPhone 3G's.

Problems include:

- Voicemails popping up 2 hours after they were left
    - Text messages popping up more than 3 hours after they were sent
    - Outgoing phone call ring going in and out when calling someone else (basically you hear 1-2 rings, then it goes silent, then after 5 seconds, it comes back, repeat, until prolonged voicemail)
    - Incoming call's ringtone doesn't ring until last or second to last ring, so you miss the call
    - Outgoing and incoming calls fail often

Has anyone else in the Boston area or anywhere else been experiencing these problems today? I'm thinking it might have to do with the network...? I figure with two iPhones that sync with different computers, that are two different sizes (8 and 16GB), this problem can't be a hardware or software issue.

I'm gonna call 611 now too and see if they know what's up. I'll post once I talk to them.

Edit: I've now also tested calling my girlfriend's iPhone from a land line, and the ringing problem persists... what is going on?!?!

Edit 2: Oh and if people were wondering, I'm on 3G and I have had 5 bars through all these problems.

2. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

both my girlfriend and I are having trouble too...no incoming calls and delayed texts..

we are in the South End (boston). Maybe weather related? When we called ATT they said they had no knowledge/calls of other outages in Boston...weird.

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

How's this for irony? I called AT&T customer service on my iPhone and the call failed! Haha

Something weird is going on... not sure what it is, but I'm sure its AT&T's bad.

Trying to get in touch with AT&T as I type... this is annoying!

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Hmm, that sounds like it is beyond the phones and software and has to be the network, all I can think is that it might have something to do with the storm, maybe they lost a tower or something, but still, I doubt a dropped tower would cause that. Those are some weird problems.

But I cannot test anything for you other than telling you that a Verizon phone on the South Shore is working fine.

5. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I'm in West Cambridge and she is on Comm. Ave near Boston University, so it seems to be pretty widespread. I'm on the phone with AT&T right now, will report back right when I'm done.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Ayer MA Worcester MA - voice mails delayed. SMS not able to connect messages stored in outbox.
    You can literately watch signal bars go from 1 to 5 bars to No Service to Searching. 3g is horribly slow, Edge is even worse.

Plymouth MA no issues, accordig to a friend that was experiencing te smae service in Ayer

This all started last friday after the ice storm.

I think it may me a hop or two that are out.

7. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

"The 3G towers have been "degraded", so it is known of and being worked on."

So I guess there's 3 towers that carry the 3G in the area and they were affected by the storm, so they're being worked on now. She also said that these issues are usually solved within 24 hours. Then again, this might be hard to get done, seeing as we have another storm coming in tonight/tomorrow morning/afternoon (gotta love New England weather).

She suggested that I switch to EDGE as that network shouldn't be affected. Also, she said that there is no real way for us to be informed or them for that matter on when its been fixed, so I guess we are expected to randomly turn 3G on and off until it works... Oh AT&T, you're soooo silly.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

that is funny.

We have no way of knowing the status of our network let alone informing our customers. Please be sure to pay your bill in full to avoid late charges.

9. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Basically this is how it went down:

Me: Is there anyway I can be contacted to be informed that the network is fixed or better?

AT&T Rep.: No, not really. Actually, because the contractors don't report back to us on what has been fixed and not, there's no way for us to know as well.

Me: Oh...... OK. I guess.

AT&T: I do apologize for the inconvenience sir.

Me: Yea....

10. TubbyCow macrumors member

3g is not receiving calls, but edge does.

in heart of boston

11. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Taunton isn't getting a signal either, yet Raynham is..go figure!

12. spazattack674 macrumors regular

Fine up here on the north shore. Receiving texts, voicemails, and calls normally.

That's weird that people in/around boston are having issues, but like other posters have mentioned, it's probably due to weather/equipment failure.

13. jmcgarrell macrumors member

Down in the south shore right now, and having no problems.

14. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

15. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Everything appears to be back to normal. Thank goodness! I was lost without my reliable iPhone, haha. Glad everyone's back up and running.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my iphone 2G never had any problems these last few days. I guess it was really just 3G?

17. jmadlena Guest

Western Washington Problems

I am not from the Boston area (Seattle, WA actually) but I have been having lots of problems with my iPhone 3G not receiving calls, getting voicemails two hours later, and texts being several hours late.

It started around the 14th of this month when I flew home for Christmas. It has been kind of inconsistent, though. Sometimes calls come through, others not. Sometimes texts are delayed, sometimes they aren't. It is getting to be rather annoying.

I had assumed it had something to do with either my SIM card, or my iPhone itself, because I had dropped it on one occasion. I got a new SIM card, and the problem still persisted. Then I called AT&T and had them check everything on their end and reset all that they could, and still no fix. Then, I replaced my iPhone, and it is still happening. This is really annoying after I spent 4 hours back and forth between an Apple Store and an AT&T Store yesterday. I had hoped a new phone would cure this.

Hopefully this will end soon. It was never a problem before last week.

On iPhone 3G with 5 bars.