Bostonians -- how is 3G working for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by random person, Aug 23, 2008.

1. random person macrumors 6502a

I'm still on the fence about upgrading to the 3G -- my original iPhone works flawlessly, and curiously when I tested my phone against some 3Gs in the new Apple store I didn't see much of an advantage in speed. I've of course upgraded the software on my iPhone and it works very well -- I've not had the issues that others seem to be having, apart from the odd app hanging now and then. And I don't really need 3G as WiFi seems to be available most of the places I go to, and I've already got a TomTom 920 for my GPS needs. But I do like the idea of the improved sound, I thought the screen was a significant improvement over the original iPhone -- much much brighter --, and I like the non-recessed headphone jack, louder speaker volume and the higher storage capacity. So the hardware is definitely speaking to me, even absent a need for the 3G network.

That said, I am curious about how well 3G is working in Boston for all you 3G Bostonians out there. Is it reasonably stable, for voice as well as data? Are there problems with dropped calls, etc? For those of you who had the original phone, are you happy you made the switch? Tip me over, one way or another, willya?

2. derekr macrumors newbie

I've been using the 3g in Boston for a total of 2 weeks now. When I first got the phone there were a few dropped calls, but as of late, I haven't had any.

3g is available pretty much throughout the city (I get a good 3g connection @ Mission Hill/Long Wood area). The 3g speed is awesome. It feels like I am using a good wifi connection at times.

So far I love it. I also used it in Southern California the other week and it worked just as well there. I was really surprised at how often I can get a solid 3g connection (even while on the road).

3. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I've had mine since a few days after launch, and have had none of the problems that everyone has been complaining about. The only issue I have here and there is speed, but it's related to utilization, not to problems with the phone. Off-peak times, I can pull 1.5Mbps with no problem in Cambridge and Boston areas. In Framingham, it can be spotty in buildings, but outside I have no issues with call quality, call drops, data instability, etc.

All in all, Boston's covered quite well by 3G. The only setback is available bandwidth due to the number of 3G devices in use in the Boston area. I've had the same issues with my previous WinMobile and standard 3G phones (I change phones like most people change clothes) :)

4. random person thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is what I was hoping to hear! From the maps, at least, 3G coverage looks excellent, and the people I've spoken to who have one have been very pleased with its performance. I may buy one after all! Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

5. shinenjk macrumors regular

I live in the South End area. I get 5 bars outside and 1-2 bars indoors for 3G. I've been using it almost for a month now and I like it. But I'm getting annoyed with all the software problems the iPhone is having. I say wait until they come out with the 2.1 patch.