Botched transfer from one ibook to another

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DK8, Nov 27, 2007.

1. DK8 macrumors newbie

My wife recently dropped her ibook on it's head - and the screen has pulled away from the plastic frame - as a result I decided to give her my old ibook. In the process of copying her apps and files over to it, I appear to have screwed something up.. I only know this because Disc Utility will not run on it any more - it asked for authentication in the form of an administrators name and password -- but unlike other apps installed, it doesn't accept the password as valid and it now cancels the operation saying there are "no valid packages" error message - 9997

I'd ideally like to avoid reinstalling the OS because I don't want to go through the process of updates and losing files and apps etc and not being able to find the original apps because they were downloads etc.

I suspect my mistake might have been to delete myself as the original administrator

Is there a fix?

2. DK8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reply to iBecks

Hi iBecks

Yes - I can use Firewire and target disc mode - but even when I run Disc Utilities from another computer the same issue arises - I get

""no valid packages" error message (- 999)"

My wife is happily continuing to use the ibook but I'm uneasy - as obviously something isn't tickedy boo