Botched transfer from one ibook to another

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DK8, Nov 27, 2007.

1. DK8 macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2007
    My wife recently dropped her ibook on it's head - and the screen has pulled away from the plastic frame - as a result I decided to give her my old ibook. In the process of copying her apps and files over to it, I appear to have screwed something up.. I only know this because Disc Utility will not run on it any more - it asked for authentication in the form of an administrators name and password -- but unlike other apps installed, it doesn't accept the password as valid and it now cancels the operation saying there are "no valid packages" error message - 9997

I'd ideally like to avoid reinstalling the OS because I don't want to go through the process of updates and losing files and apps etc and not being able to find the original apps because they were downloads etc.

I suspect my mistake might have been to delete myself as the original administrator

Is there a fix?
  2. DK8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2007
    Reply to iBecks

Hi iBecks

Yes - I can use Firewire and target disc mode - but even when I run Disc Utilities from another computer the same issue arises - I get

""no valid packages" error message (- 999)"

My wife is happily continuing to use the ibook but I'm uneasy - as obviously something isn't tickedy boo