Both HD's down on iMac- HD's or SATA Controller?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wheeler, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Wheeler macrumors member

Have a late 2010 27 iMac with a factory 1TB drive, as well as a self installed SSD. The iMac seemed to be buggy from the start (would randomly freeze until I moused over dock) and continued to be after a few complete reinstalls of Snow Leopard and Lion. SSD (vertex 3) worked great for a few months, then the iMac stopped seeing it. Would reappear for a short time, then was simply gone. I then tried to update the Lion on the regular 1 TB drive to Mountain Lion, and the update failed saying it could not be installed on the disk. Tried to repair the disk, which results in "disk cannot be repaired".

So my question is should I stick new HD's in there, or is it possibly a deeper problem that I need to have apple look at, such as a bad sata controller?

Thanks for any help...

2. volcomfever macrumors newbie

Hey...when you try to repair the 1TB in disk utility, are you booting to something else like an external HD or booting to the SSD? Also, when DU displays the red letters and says it cannot be repaired, what is the exact error message? Also is SMART status verified on the 1TB?

3. Wheeler thread starter macrumors member

Chance has it I tried repairing again (booted to OSX Installer partition I believe) and this time it worked- and 10.8 fully installed. SSD did not show up at first, but now has suddenly appeared. No clue what is going on but at least its working, for now...

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Is the installation of the SSD properly done? could be some sort of incompatibility if you were having issues from the start? bad cable, temperamental ssd, etc...if the drives arent showing up, i dont think its a sata controller, possibly the sata/data cable that was installed aftermarket.