Both ipad 2 and new ipad owners, can you help out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blow45, Jul 2, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

This is about the colour temperature of the screen.

I am having the same issue here, the new ipad seems far more harsh than my ipad 2 which is much warmer, yellowish orange colours like icabmobile, the yellow of photos, and notes, seem a much harsher tone of yellow.

Another example, the yellow, goldish orange from ebay seems just more of bright washed out yellow.

Certainly the text is a joy but this detracts a lot from it.

Are all new ipads that cold in temperature or did I get a particularly cold model?

I don't know my ass from my elbow btw about color but this is very obvious when put side to side, the colours on the ipad 2 seem more saturated (if I am using the term right), warmer, deeper and less harsh. Black on white is much more enjoyable to read.

Do other people have the same experiences? Are all ipad 3's compared to 2's like this?

2. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Funny that people have complained that the 3 has yellow tinting issues. Besides that, the retina display might have some influence on your perception being that everything is that much sharper.

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks or the reply man. :) No, it's not the retina's sharpness, it's the colour, the temperature of the colour, it's very noticeable. And it's not like whites have that pronounced yellow tint you see in some ipads that are immediate return items, it's that the orange-yellow becomes yellow, and the screen is just cold and harsh, I would even say washed out in a way. As you might imagine I am very disappointed, I 've been thinking about getting one a long time, anyway...

...The point of this thread is if others who own both models have noticed this when they put their ipads side by side.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I own both and to me they both look fairly equal with the exception that the iPad 3 screen is sharper. My screens exhibit none of the issues you mentioned. The only thing I can say is that both my iPad's and a Viewsonic monitor all share a warm look to the screens when I view certain colors. With the brightness at max all three have brilliant whites.

I do have some tablets though that have a cooler color palette than my iPad's.

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

rooster, thanks man, your feedback is much appreciated!!!

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I also don't notice much difference between my ipad 2 and 3. Like the other poster said, 3 is sharper, but that is it.

7. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

I have been through many iPads for the reason you stated, and the yellow wash out look. I have finally received an iPad that is actually white with a bit of a dark corner, bit pinkish/yellowish but way better than all the ones I went through.

A great majority of the new iPads have differents tints.

8. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks bro, I guess my odyssey begins... I really wouldn't want to go through many ipads myself and I hoped that by waiting it out I would raise my chances of not getting a lemon, alas, maybe second time lucky. :)

@night spring, thanks for the feedback buddy. :)