Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
Camera will always be a gimmick on phones, there is no room for large sensor.
don't understand why people fall for this.
i have seen people bragging, my phone takes better pictures :)

• Haha
Reactions: Marty80

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sorry but IMO you are quibbling. Functionally iPhones do have an optical zoom like the headline states. Apple digitally moves among its various lenses, transparently providing zoom capability to the user.
The headline reads 5x optical zoom. The iPhone has no optical zoom at all. It has three fixed focal length lenses, and, as you point out, digital zoom in between and beyond. But no optical zoom at all.

That might be a quibble, but it’s also correct. Technically correct: the best kind of correct.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Was not expecting to see more than 5x for 16 Pro Max. Good that both Pro models will have similar camera capabilities.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
And it is gonna be used to spy on people instead actual photography. They would better focus on main camera quality than pushing all those zoom features

• Disagree
Reactions: wickedrm

_ph_

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024

When I get the chance, of course I use my camera gear for my photography. That doesn't mean, a good camera in a smartphone is a "gimmick". Quite the contrary. The better they get, there more I use them. Especially of course, when my camera isn't in reach. Or because I can immediately share the pictures. For a lot of use cases, they are just good enough. A better camera expands the possible use cases.

Reactions: lcs101

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
I would rather they improve the quality of the sensor for the 5x telephoto first.

_ph_

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024
I would rather they improve the quality of the sensor for the 5x telephoto first.

That would make a lot of sense. A better sensor gives you automatically more "reach", as you can crop more. On the other side, making a longer telephoto lens would increase the gap between the main and the telephoto camera, it is quite large already. I cannot see how they could go longer with the telephoto without adding another camera in between.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hardly

cameras on smart phones is what shows the difference year on year. Would say it’s the most important area for upgrades

Reactions: lcs101

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
I am holding off till the iphone 17 pro max removes the face id camera, bumps up the front facing camera to 24 megapixel, and the entire back camera array to 48 megapixel.

The iphone 16 pro will be another ‘s’ year. ‘s’ an abbreviation for skip :p. Hopefully the iphone 17 pro max will bring something new and exciting to the table, as my 12 pro max is becoming obsolete in terms of ios updates.
Please keep the 12 pro max, I’m ny opinion it has the best camera after apple destroyed it with the 13 series. So do not give that away.

soundweave

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I agree with you about wanting options for less sharpening, but for me, excessive noise reduction is often a more egregious issue. But noise reduction allows for smaller file sizes. Noisy images are harder to compress. You can see this with streaming services. Movies with a lot of film grain usually look awful at streaming bitrates.
Yeah I don't mind some film/grain either. ProRAWs are quite smooth with little noise (maybe done by multi-frame noise reduction?) but not too artificial looking, unlike the stock HEIFs. Native RAWs from a 3rd party app are just one frame and retain natural noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.