Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to bring tetraprism camera technology to both iPhone 16 Pro models next year, enabling at least 5x optical zoom and 25x digital zoom on the Telephoto lens.

iPhone-16-Pro-Mock-Header-Updated.jpg

According to a new report by The Elec, Apple will add LG Innotek as another supplier of the folded zoom module used in the technology, in an attempt to secure production yields for the increased number of units required.

The iPhone 15 Pro has a 12-megapixel Telephoto camera that offers 3x zoom, but the iPhone 15 Pro Max is using an upgraded Telephoto system that allows for 5x zoom. The iPhone 15 Pro Max has a folded glass structure below the lens, which Apple refers to as tetraprism technology. It reflects light four times over, allowing for a longer focal length of 120mm.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has repeatedly said he expects the tetraprism lens with up to 5x optical zoom to expand to both the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max next year. It has been rumored that the iPhone 16 Pro will feature a larger 6.3-inch display, compared to the 6.1-inch iPhone 15 Pro. This change would increase the overall size of the device, which would provide additional internal space for a tetraprism lens.

Article Link: Both iPhone 16 Pro Models to Feature Tetraprism Zoom Lens

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
It has been rumored that the iPhone 16 Pro will feature a larger 6.3-inch display, compared to the 6.1-inch iPhone 15 Pro. This change would increase the overall size of the device, which would provide additional internal space for a tetraprism lens.
How big is the Pro Max going to be?

If it isn't also getting bigger, the gap between them is pretty small.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It should have been in this year and given the regular Pro a reason to actually exist. But Apple are Apple and wanted to limit the best tech to the most expensive device for a reason.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I'm OK with that 😎
Nothing wrong with wanting the best!

But next year will be the new tech filtering down and a stat bump for the Max. And then again the following year. The 15 Max will likely last a good 3 years before they put anything new in it again. Going by the 'what does Android have now?' mantra I would put money on a foldable iPhone before 2026.

Reactions: tridley68

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
I suppose I’m one of the few people who doesn’t want this. I like taking photos in the 2x-3x range. Losing quality at this range for a range i don’t use is painful.

Reactions: Alex Cai

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Not sure why this isn't news, though.

Still, I’ll be one of those people who says,

“Call me when the iPhone can match the zoom ability of my many-year-old ELPH 330!”​

It has a built-in optical 10x zoom and double that with Canon's optimized digital tele-compression, which works like a charm.

In the meantime, I'll rely on my Canon SX720 with its 40x optical zoom that produces incredible wildlife close-ups from a great distance — and superb photos of the birds at the feeders and in the trees — ones no iPhone ever can.

Love the wrist strap and sturdily build cameras, too. No worries about dropping a $500-$1,000 dollar device when out and about or even photographing the backyard from inside the house!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Le0M

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Well, considering the 15 Pro does not have this today (only the 15 Pro Max does)...is it really that obvious the regular Pro model would be getting it next year?

Last edited by a moderator:

smorris

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ohio
I just bought a 15 Pro Max this week, upgrading from a XS. In comparing the Pro and Pro max, I really liked the 3X lens better than the 5X. I can see too many times that 5X would be too much. But my 70 year old eyes like the larger screen (and ability to have larger text.)

I'm not sure how the internals work, but I'm assuming that dialing it down to 3X is done via digital zoom, and would result in a lower quality image.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I really don’t want a bigger phone, but as long as I can get the best camera without having to get the biggest phone I’ll be happy. I just can’t do the Max size, and my 15 Pro is almost too big as it is. I’ve stopped using a case partially to make it smaller. lol.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Action Button, Dynamic Island, zoom (no proper noun?). Just give me ProMotion and I'll just get the regular one.

Reactions: imtoretto

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
Apple working hard to make sure I never upgrade to a Pro iPhone.
the word "Pro" these days on Apple Products is a tremendous JOKE bro..... sad to say but is the reality.

Xiomi just launch a real Pro device and Samsung is coming soon, im so ready to make the jump.

Reactions: User 6502

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
I’m sure the PM model will continue to have something that the Pro model doesn’t so they can upsell. The 6.7 to 6.9 could just be that the top edges aren’t rounded only the bottom

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Nothing wrong with wanting the best!

But next year will be the new tech filtering down and a stat bump for the Max. And then again the following year. The 15 Max will likely last a good 3 years before they put anything new in it again. Going by the 'what does Android have now?' mantra I would put money on a foldable iPhone before 2026.
I’ll take your money on a foldable iPhone before 2026. Rumors and design leaks for years before a major update comes out, and there has been nothing about a foldable iPhone yet.

otozuz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Oh, but I thought this technology was only possible thanks to the bigger room inside the Pro Max!

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016

“Call me when the iPhone can match the zoom ability of my many-year-old ELPH 330!”​

It has a built-in optical 10x zoom and double that with Canon's optimized digital tele-compression, which works like a charm.

In the meantime, I'll rely on my Canon SX720 with its 40x optical zoom that produces incredible wildlife close-ups from a great distance — and superb photos of the birds at the feeders and in the trees — ones no iPhone ever can.

Love the wrist strap and sturdily build cameras, too. No worries about dropping a $500-$1,000 dollar device when out and about or even photographing the backyard from inside the house!
Ah yeah, but you have rose colored glasses on. I acquired a new one of those Elph cameras again recently, and was shocked at how bad the pic quality is on them. Canon hasn't bothered to update the tech in them at all. I used to love this pocket cam back in the day, but damn, compared to modern phone cams, they are woeful.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016

PS - the problem with zoom lenses is they create a compromise in the physics. The greater the zoom range, the worse the lens quality. The best quality lenses are prime lenses, which have a fixed length, i.e. no zoom at all (zoom by moving your feet, or by cropping).

As for telephoto lenses, it is a different problem, but similar result, you have to spend a LOT of money, and have a physically large lens to get high quality telephoto pics. If you take a critical eye to comparing your pics at minimum zoom and maximum zoom, you will find that the minimum zoom pics are better quality.

If you like background blur in a portrait photo, then the low f-stops that create this naturally, are much easier and cheaper to make in both prime lenses, and shorter length lenses.

That said, I'm sure the SX720 takes good enough pics for your needs, and is small and lightweight, so easy to have with you.

And as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you. Thus the proliferation of decent quality phone cameras.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just want the 48MP sensor on the 5x zoom. Doesn't even have to be as nice and big as the main sensor. That will make the digital zoom wild, especially for video. But I'm also looking forward to moving down to the smaller Pro again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.