Both iPhones Ringing with call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drccw, Oct 14, 2014.

1. drccw macrumors newbie

So I sent my parents both of their new to them iPhone 5 with iOS 8. They just got them yesterday, after being out of the country for 4 months....

1 is on ATT, 1 is on Verizon. Both running the latest iOS updates. They share a common iCloud account login on both phones.

When I called one phone, both phones would ring. If they answered the wrong phone, they could not hear me but I could hear them. The same thing happened if I called either number. Very interesting... I had them turn the Wifi off and then the problem went away... is this some sort of wifi calling bug?

FDW

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Not a bug it is a feature of FaceTime for all IOS 8 devices on the same iCloud account under Wi-Fi. To disable the feature, under settings, scroll down to FaceTime and slide the iPhone Cellular Calls rocker to off.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is your problem. A number of features, like Handoff, rely on devices having common iCloud accounts, as Apple is now pretty much tying iCloud logins to individual identities. The those phones are set up now, you can do other interesting things with the two iPhones too, like... have a look at what the other person is viewing in Safari, for instance.

You can turn Wifi off, or turn off cellular call handoff as suggested, but that's a stopgap measure. The best thing to do is to have separate iCloud accounts for each person, on their phones. They can decide who keeps the existing account, and other will need to set up a new one on their device.

If they've bought apps or iTunes music/videos that they share, then they can both still use those apps even with different iCloud accounts via Family Sharing.

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I haven't decided if I like this feature or not. While my wife and I find it mostly annoying (she's almost picked up some of my work calls), it has proven useful a couple of times where one of our phones is in another room and we get a call.

I'm not about to setup a second Apple ID. While with Family Sharing we'd be mostly ok, I don't want to buy additional iCloud storage. Unless those can be tied together somehow.