Both my ApplePay CC's breached, preordered AppleWatch, what to do?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by armandxp, Apr 12, 2015.

1. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I made a post the other day, how my CC from my bank was breached and had to be cancelled. It was on AP and the bank dynamically updated my iPhone with the new card number.

Well, I get another phone call from the bank today, and my debit card has been breached? What gives. Of course this was my payment method for the watch, and was used on my iPhone to purchase through the Apple Store app.

So, the bank updated my card number and I can see the last four digits of the new card in passbook. It looks like the digital card number stayed the same and the last four digits match what show online.

I called the Apple store hotline and asked them, and they were kind of not sure what to do. I'm out of town for the next few weeks working, and there are no Wells Fargo banks near me. So, I basically have to drive two hours to a bank branch. Both of my new cards are being mailed to me in 7-10 business days and can't get them any sooner from what I was told over the phone.

UGH! What would you do? Scared to update Apple with new credit card number? Will Apple Pay still work since it's based on a digital card number and not the plastic card number?

And yes, I can't believe my only two forms of paying for something was stolen somehow. Haven't used my debit card in probably a month and the credit card number in three months. The only thing I can think in common with both cards is I have them both stored on Amazon's site, in Apple Pay, and that's it.

2. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Can you eliminate:

1. Viruses/malware from pulling info?

2. People with physical access to your card?

3. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

I've thought about that. I live alone. Nobody's seen my cards. Except maybe an online website. But I've rarely associated both cards to one website.

I only use a MacBook Air. Don't use any windows products. So I think it has something to do with a credit card breach from a website maybe.

Just worried about my order and apple is kinda clueless if it will work or not. They said it should but it will depend on the bank ultimately authorizing. So I think I'm not going to mess with changing credit card numbers online. Just pray that apple pay works with an updated credit card.

4. darkarw macrumors regular

You can call 1-800-MyApple and change your billing information until it attempts to bill your card for shipping. For example if you have a 4/24 ship date you probably have until at least 4/20 to call and have them change your card. I called them earlier today and they were very helpful. I hope this helps.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you've used the CCs anywhere else outside of Apple Pay (online or in-store), that can be the source of the breach.

I used a CC and the merchant pretended that it didn't work, so I handed him a different CC. Hence both were skimmed at the same time and the imposer used both cards for the exact same attempted charge at a Best Buy (stopped cold at point of sale). Took me a while to figure that one out.

6. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Did you happen to add your cards to Apple Pay while on public wifi (like an airport or coffee shop wifi)?

I've always wondered if "sniffers" could grab CC info if we added cards to Apple Pay like that.

7. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

I kind of wondered this too. But I scanned both off my cards in at home on wifi with top encryption enabled. I forgot both my cards are on PayPal too for eBay. I still think it was a website breach or something like that. I'm prety tech savvy and am very careful when it comes to cards and not being foolish.

The bank told me the credit card numbers were manually entered so I know it wasn't stolen off my phone since they aren't stored there. First time ever happened to me and it hit me twice in just a few days. Kinda scary I guess.

8. Mythicstatus2 macrumors regular

I don't know if this would work, but you could go to an apple store and buy a gift card for the amount of the watch with apple pay (the updated one) then call apple customer service to apply the gift card to your watch purchase eliminating the uncertainty.

Edit: you can also buy gift cards online from apple

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Your credit card numbers aren't stored in Apple Pay so that can't be the vector. Amazon on the other hand could be, if your credit cards are stored there.

10. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

That's actually a really good idea thanks!!!

11. TMacGuy macrumors member

Call Apple. They may be able to update payment information on file without you losing your spot in line. Good luck OP.

-TMacGuy

----------

This may work too.

12. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Yeah I agree with you. Maybe someone scanned my cards in my wallet with some kind of sniffer. I've heard of this but don't know anybody that it has happened to. Gonna put my card in one of those special sleeves I hear people talking about.

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Have you thought about where you've swiped the card?

14. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

In the past two months, I've been out of town on a job out of state. I've paid with cash everywhere. Only time I used the debit, it was scanned at a Sheetz gas station and handed right back to me. I seriously doubt it happened there. If the info was stolen more than two months ago, they sure were patient when waiting to try and use it. I'm telling you it was an internet website leak of some sort.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is actually not surprising. They also waited 2-3 months between the skimming of my two unrelated CCs and the attempted fraudulent charge at Best Buy.

16. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

This is the kind of reckless attitude that gets people exploited by online criminals.

There exists malware for OSX (quite a lot of it actually, and more every day). At the same time, Apple's efforts to secure their own operating system are not as good as Microsoft's, as they still hide behind the faulty idea that simply owning and using a Mac somehow makes you more or less immune to malware, thus fooling their users into believing the same thing.

Nobody's safe from malware, and thinking that you are ("oh, but I have never been infected, therefore I must be completely immune until the end of time!") just makes you more vulnerable. How do you know you aren't infected right now, if you rely entirely on the Apple logo on your computer case to keep you safe? :p

17. SuperKat macrumors regular

Yeeeep.

Been looking for a thread like this.
    The morning after I pre-ordered my Apple Watch I had three bogus charges on the CC I used, $1500.37, $1500.83 and $1800 I believe? All to a company called Daily Steals.
    Bank caught it and it's being taken care of. Just annoying. I ordered through the Apple Store App on my iPhone.
    I was planning on updating my info when I get the new card. Hoping no charges will be attempted by Apple until shipping anyway, which was June for me.

18. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Really? If you don't have anything useful to say, keep the trolling to a minimum. I have scanned for Malware on My MB air. I don't visit sites that I don't know. I have an IT degree and am very aware about malware, but don't feel the need to explain every detail of it, until someone acts as ignorant as yourself. I completely wipe my entire computer every six months, and have for years. Dear sir, I promise you I am more aware about viruses and malware than yourself. Please go show your Debbie Downer ignorance somewhere else. Just because you can type and blurt out anything you want to, while hiding behind a keyboard, doesn't mean you have to be a nasty person on the internet.

----------

Sorry to hear. Like I said before, never had fraud issues ever. Just was so insane to have both of the card numbers stolen in the same week, and they were my sole payment types while I'm out of town. And it is very annoying.

19. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

OP - why did you imply that Apple Pay was the reason for your issue? You should know that is false.

20. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

I'm not saying AP is my issue. I'm saying I used AP to purchase, my credit card that was listed under AP was breached, CC company issues me a new card, I have no access to that card for 7-10 days, new CC number was updated on my iPhone in passbook, will my purchase still go through???? Please reread if you don't get what I'm saying?

21. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Unfortunately for the OP, I don't have much more useful advice to add beyond echoing the ideas of others to call Apple customer support and update payment info to a different card until this can be sorted out. I THINK that Apple Pay is designed to still work even in these types of situations, but I too would be concerned about risking my preorder on it.

On a side note, people's reading comprehension on this site is atrocious. The number of posters that are confused about how the OP is simply concerned that canceling the compromised card will effect his Apple Pay payment vs Apple Pay being the attack vector on the compromised card amazes me.

Best of luck OP!

22. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Thank you for getting it!!!