Botocamp: Do I need to install the Windows support software from Apple?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ozreth, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So this is my first time setting up bootcamp via Lion. It's never asked this in the past, but one of the first screens gives me the option to check "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" and goes on to say that I will need to download it either to a dvd or external and then install it later.

Now, I'm guessing that this is because Lion is discless, and in the past I would stick my SL disc in after installing Windows and it would do the updates for me. Is there any way around this? Can these updates be installed from the internet?

2. ozreth, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Well, I went ahead and did it. I figure I can just pop in my old snow leopard Disc after windows installs for the software update, yes?

Also, damn this partition is takin forever. About 20 minutes and only half way through. Used to take mabyve 5 : (

UPDATE: After around 45 minutes the partition finally went through. Now, at the screen where it asks which partition to install Windows to I see four options, when in the past I swear there were two or three. Here is a pic:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/XVIIreasons/photo-6.jpg

Now, in the past I was using an i7 MBP with Snow Leopard. I am now using a 2.4 C2D MBP with Lion, and this could be causing all the differences. Still, I just dont like being thrown off by things I am typically used to : /

3. Sincci macrumors regular

You still should download the drivers from bootcamp assistant, you really don't want to use drivers from 2009. On top of that, the drivers that came with the original snow leopard dvd weren't even fully 64-bit compatible. Also, you cannot upgrade the drivers to Bootcamp 4.0 afterwards via Software update, only to 3.2 or something.

The pic you posted looks right to me, you just need to select the drive options and from there format. That will give the partition a correct format (from exfat to NTFS) and the installation can continue.

BTW, you can run the bootcamp assistant again any time and download the correct drivers and then just quit the assistant without touching any of the partitions.

4. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Sincci is correct.

Highly recommended to install the drivers from the DVD. Otherwise, sound may not work and you would not be able to use any of the keyboard keys for sound, brightness, etc.

5. ozreth, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ok, so I'm gonna download the updates and do all that, thanks guys :)

But heres another thing. I just installed Windows on my girlfriends computer and she has the exact same MBP as me with similar usage. Her's partitioned in less than a minute while mine took around 45 minutes. Also, I installed Steam on both computers. My Steam update took about 15 minutes while hers took maybe two minutes. That's gotta say something.

Thoughts?

6. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Bump! Might have to bring this over to the MBP forum, eh?