Bottled water

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stampyhead, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

My friends think I'm crazy because I'm very picky about the water I will drink. They think it all tastes the same, but it clearly does not. There are some that have an awful bitter taste, almost like you're tasting the plastic bottle the water comes in. Here are some of my thoughts on different bottled waters. Please feel free to add your own thoughts, opinions, favorites, least favorites, comments stating that Stampyhead is insane because all bottled water tastes the same, etc.
    Favorites: Evian, Vittel (haven't been able to find Vittel in North America anywhere), Iceland Spring. I know Evian is expensive and maybe even a little trendy, but it has a nice, almost sweet, taste and never plastic-y (funny how all my favorites are from non-US sources)
    Least favorites: Aqua Fina, Dasani. These two are awful, not just because they are purified tap water in a bottle (and Pepsi and Coca Cola respectively trying to make a buck off the bottled water craze), but because they just taste bad. Aqua Fina especially has that nasty bitter taste that makes one fear the water has been in the bottle too long and is starting to absorb some of the plastic chemicals.
    Others that are decent that fall in between these two categories: Fiji, Ozarka, Arrowhead, Poland Spring, other brands depending on your geographical location.
    Ok, I'm done. And now I'm really thirsty too. What do you all think?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My friend drinks Highland Springs whenever he can. At home I drink Brita filtered tap water, its nice, but sometimes a bit plain. Evian FTW!

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I drink ozarka most of the time, though I think Fiji water tastes best. Like you, I don't like to drink dasani or aquafina. I'm depressed that i've gotten to the point where I compare bottled water brands. This is a sad day.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I don't like the purified bottled waters like Aquafina, but I'll drink them if I'm thirsty enough. The "natural spring waters" taste so much better.

5. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Considering that bottled water costs more than gasoline for the same amount I think ill pass. yay tap filtered water.

6. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well

ok
    the only water my parents buy is

DASANI

there is like 48bottles in my basement

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Would you pay $4-6 for bottled water?

I buy gallons of spring water each week and use that to refill an empty water bottle :)

Ever see the Penn & Teller Bull***** about bottled water? You should.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

We have an RO system in our house. I can definitely taste the difference between it and our tap water here. Not sure it's 100% necessary, as I drank tap water as a kid for years with no problems, but I prefer it nonetheless. :cool:

10. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I have the good (at least on this subject) fortune to live in Boston, and we have some of the best tap water to be found. I'm told Seattle's is also fine.

Filtration may or may not be necessary, depending on your situation. In an old house, with old pipes, it might not be a bad idea.

On the job, I do drink Poland Spring. Reason: The place has fountains, but the water tastes like it has something in it that shouldn't be there. Everyone has commented on it. A few have said it has an odor on some days, but I have not detected this. Some of the big shot office suites have Belmont springs bottled water service. I have managed to save some Poland spring bottles, and I fill them with good old Boston Tap. Chilled water is always nice.

A concern has been raised about what to do with all those wasted water bottles. I think the concern is a valid one. Maybe this is something for the MIT and Cal Tech kids to work on. What is that plastic good for?

11. 173080 macrumors 6502

Fiji and Evian taste like crap.

Dasani is almost good if it's very cold.

Voss and Acqua Panna are pretty good.

12. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Yeah, tap water for me, I can't see paying $8 a gallon for something I get for free. (ok, I have a water bill, but its pennies per gallon)

13. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I liked Vittel very much when I was in Europe - it does have a good taste.

Here I just use a filter on the tap water to cut down on waste, because I can easily drink a dozen bottles of water in a day.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I buy bottled water for convenience (take one every day to work). I can't tell the difference between brands. Well, this isn't true -- I can, but I don't care. What I DO hate is when a bottle is left with tap water overnight or has gone through a hot/cool cycle in a hot car. Then you can taste plastic in the water and it is gross.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Bottled water = dumb.

More often than not it is just filtered tap water.

Don't like the "taste" of the water coming from your tap? Get a filter; it's way cheaper than buying 20oz bottles of water for $1.50 each.

Don't want to buy a filter? Get a large 5 gallon container that you can refill for about a dollar at a water store/machine outside of a grocery store.

Not to mention the extremely large amount of plastic that is wasted with all of these bottles. Almost nobody recycles them, so they sit in landfills forever.

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Last year alone Americans spent $15 billion on bottled water. This is coming from people who are one of the few civilizations that have clean tap whatever for a very large majority of its citizens. The kicker is that about 25% of that was nothing more than bottled tap water (Aquafina and Dasani).

People that obsess over water and find it purer or whatever confuse me. I buy it when i'm out, or take a bottle with me if i know i will be outside, but beyond that, i drink plain ol' filtered tap. And before someone tells me something about Fluoride being in my water, my town doesn't add it to the water supply :p

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I once had a professor who said, "Bottled water was the best idea since the Catholic church thought of selling indulgences." :D

I realize that bottled water can taste different than tap water, and different brands have difference tastes, but nonetheless, water is water. Even the most expensive imported waters are no more or less safe than the water coming out of my tap.

...And you'll find the taste of water is very subjective. You may think Evian tastes better (which is most likely influenced by its price and prestige), but switch to tap water for a month or two and then perform a blind taste test. ...I wouldn't be surprised if you picked the tap water as your favorite.

19. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Get a water filter and stop wasting plastic/energy/water/money!!! :mad:

Sorry, but bottled water is one of my pet peeves!

20. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Agreed. Not all water tastes the same. My favorites in addition to Vittel would be Poland Spring and Volvic. And atually I hate Evian. I hate that weird almost sweet taste. It drives me nuts. I'd rather drink tap than Evian.

In the US I don't drink Tap, unless it goes through the Brita first. Tastes funny. In Germany I buy sprüdel (carbonated water) but other than that I drink tap.

21. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Bottled water is just great marketing. For some reason people think that it is a good thing since it's 'natural.' The waste of plastic for bottles and gas for transporting it from a 'spring' is sooooo bad for the environment. Do everyone, and yourself, a favor and buy a filter.

Have a nice day:).

22. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I was in the US a couple of years ago and was quite surprised to see Evian on sale. What is the point of shipping bottled water across the Atlantic, it just seems a terrible waste of both resources and time.

23. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

24. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

San Francisco has already joined the 'just-say-no-to-bottled-water-group', and you can too.