Bottom 1/5 screen of iPhone not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gotsmartz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. gotsmartz macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 2G for $70 with a broken home button and a badly cracked glass, the digitizer was working 100%, then I took the phone apart to replace the home button and now the bottom 1/5 of the screen doesn't respond to touch. Could this be a bad connector? Or could it be that when it was dropped it was on the edge of working and opening it was the final straw on the camels back? Man that sounded like a movie ad. I wonder if this is fixable, or am I hopeless on this one?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Out of warranty? Probably? You might check with Apple or you can find a 3rd party authorized repair shop to check it out. Hopefully you have AppleCare and it can be replaced without further headaches...:(

3. gotsmartz thread starter macrumors newbie

nah from what I heard it is a dead strip, it cannot be repaired, the lcd assembly needs to be replaced, and its $130! Pretty pricey, and repair places all charge over $200. I'm better off ebayin' it or waiting til I can find another broken one.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Pardon me for asking, but do you gotsmartz? Why not buy one that's not broken?

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

try taking it to apple to get it replaced
    these :dead strips" are a manufacturing defect that they are aware of, and if you get lucky youll get a free replacement out of warranty