Bottom Bezel won't close

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timdafweak, Feb 10, 2009.

1. timdafweak macrumors 6502

timdafweak

Hi, I know this is what the Germans call "Selber Schuld" (roughly one's own fault), but I decided to upgrade the HDD on my SR2.2Ghz MBP the other day. After seating the HDD in, I tried to put it back together, but noticed that the bottom edge (by the Super drive) doesn't sit snugly on the body any more. There is a crack of space between the body and the edge of the Keyboard bezel. Any help on how to put it bakc together and maintain the pristine beauty of this amazing machine would be highly appreciated.
    Cheers!

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I've had my MacBook Pro apart twice: once to apply some thermal compound and once to change the hard drive for a larger one. I do recall having to take some particular care around the area of the optical drive but I can't recall anything specific. Perhaps you should remove the top cover again and examine it, paying particular attention to any clips that may need to snap together.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. timdafweak thread starter macrumors 6502

timdafweak

*sigh* I have resolved to take it all apart this weekend, and try to put it back together again.

A note though - after upgrading to my latest HDD beast - Momentus 7200.4 500GB, the top left of the MBP (where the charger plugs in), gets uncomfortably hot. Hot enough to make me wince while typing. The CPU usage doesn't go over 10-20% and the temperatures are all within normal limits. Of all the components, the GPU diode registers the highest temperatures of the bunch (around 148-155F). I wonder if this is due to the new HDD (temperatures for which rarely go over 100F), or did I make a mistake putting my laptop back together. Ach.

4. chp5592 macrumors regular

Ditto, that exact place wouldn't close for me either after replacing my hard drive.

I did what someone else here recommended, which was to push "REAL HARD" on the top and it did click in place. I would put an old CD in the opening so it doesn't bend the opening.

5. timdafweak thread starter macrumors 6502

timdafweak

Cheers, will try that, have been a little reluctant to show brute force on this most beautiful machine, but it just is driving me wild.

I hope I can figure out the reason for the "BoilBook" as well.

6. timdafweak thread starter macrumors 6502

timdafweak

Found the culprit, believe it or not... Path Finder. The app was driving the temperature up on my dear MBP, somehow. I appzapped it last evening and have been using my lappie for the past 4 hours now without any uncomfortable boiling temperatures on the chassis.
    Cheers!