Bottom Case Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cbcl, Jan 8, 2013.

1. cbcl macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently ordered a White Macbook 2009 bottom case replacement in the UK using the following program:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook-bottomcase/

Do you have to return the old macbook cover? I am seeing different reports from different people.

The self service didn't ask me for any credit card information, nor did I agree a price before submitting. The confirmation email says about having to return parts, if I don't I will be charged. Or is this normal Apple jargon for every replacement, no matter what the product / item?

I'm just wondering what other people have done in the past?

Thanks

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It depends on the country I believe (they use different parts in different countries). In the UK you'll be sent a 661-5975 and you'll need to return the old one.

3. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

In the US, you do not have to return the old one even though the form included states that you do, just ignore it. I called Apple to verify.

4. pugger macrumors newbie

I didn't return mine. The new one is still in the box. I got it just in case. And if I ever sell it i'll put it on to make it look newer.

5. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

When I replaced mine in the States I never returned my old one, and that was a little more than a year ago. I haven't heard anything from apple, and have had repairs done, and ordered from them sense. I wouldn't sweat it.

6. handel30 macrumors member

Time limit?

Hey I have a mid 2010 Macbook, purchased brand new in 2011 from my local apple store. I have had no issues with the rubber bottom but someone here said they ordered one from apple just in case. My Macbook is out of warranty and I didn't purchase apple care. I live in the US. I'm thinking of asking apple to send me a replacement in case I need one in the future, but only if there's a time limit to the free replacement. If there's no time limit, then I wouldn't bother and would just wait until a problem developed. Also, I read that apple is also replacing the plastic bodies for free if they crack? Mine hasn't cracked, but it would be nice to know if that's really true and also if there's a time limit.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

4 years for the bottom case. The cracking is on a case by case basis - if it hasn't cracked by now you wont have a problem :).