Bottom case too flexible? Aluminum not thick enough.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimKirk, Apr 26, 2010.

1. JimKirk macrumors 6502

I was hoping that Apple would address this in the new MBPs but alas it seems they are the same.

I hate the fact that my 15 and 17 mbp bottom cases are too flexible and will actually pop in and out if you hold it in the middle.

I think on my new mbp I did this and accidentally heard the fan hitting the case.

To get around this, you must hold the mbp from sides only.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, please keep two hands on the wheel. Seriously, why would anyone hold their MBP from the center for any extended period of time. The risk of dropping it increases exponentially. It's not designed to be held in the center. I think your complaint that the AL is thick enough is akin to a Chevy Malibu driver complaining his tires are not Z rated.

3. lordofuo macrumors regular

wow. great analogy. hah

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

So if I had to carry a cup of coffee and my computer at the same time...would it be safer to place the coffee on the laptop and hold it with 2 hands, or carry one in each hand? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I find myself walking around with my laptop in one hand with the screen open the odd time. My 15" has a little bit of flex, but it's too heavy to carry around like that for very long. It's still a valid complaint though, the chassis of a machine that prides itself on design should not feel flimsy.

5. JimKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it sounds funny

But there are a lot of times where I would like to pick it up with one hand and move it.

That is when the bottom case flexes.

6. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

I agree with you. the bottom should be a bit stronger with less flex to protect the motherboard and components. Taking my mbp out of my incase, I grab it by one hand, its unnatural to pull it out by the sides, cause what do you use to hold the sleeve down, your feet? I noted in another thread how cheap a mbp actually feels, its way less sturdy than they made it seem. They always complain about how "cheap" other laptops feel, but whenever anyone says anything bad about a mbp its oh you expected it to be a X well, ridiculous stupid comment Y!

well to quote dave chapelle - "yes mother ****er I do, thats why I said it"

7. Tegeril macrumors member

You should close the laptop and carry it tucked between your arm and your body...given that most are still using mechanical hard drives, ideally the computer should be asleep while moving >.<

At least, I would :) Less likely to drop it like that.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

Several years or months ago, design team member and statistical expert from the marketing division, discussing the optimum weight and thickness of the new laptop line:
    D: Well, if we make it any thicker, how many people do you think will complain it feels like tank armor?
    S: That's easy - exactly 1 out of every 10 rumor forum members and about 1 in every 2 thousand normal users.
    D: Well, if we make it just barely thick enough to hold together under normal use and stress, that's the sweet spot from a design standpoint and it will certainly appeal to fans of the light fantastic. How about the complaint factor?
    S: That's easy too, exactly three out of every ten rumor forum members will complain its too fragile, even if not even one unit is returned for related repairs.
    D: Man, those guys are hard to pacify! Wait! We could make it out of a solid sheet of titanium, get it really thin and have very little flex, unless someone was crazy enough to carry a running laptop around an obstacle course in one hand with the screen open! Man, that would just be asking to drop it!
    S: Sorry, that won't work either, I still calculate a couple of users, people I remind you that bought the machine of their own volition, will complain it is too flexible. Of course the complaint ratio goes way up if you made it out of old decommissioned tank armor plating, nobody likes that oil-stained dark texture and it would take a muscle freak to even lift it, much less carry it.
    D: Yah, guess you're right, and we did titanium once, nothing left but aluminum. Wait! Aluminum, that's it! The perfect material from both a design and esthetic standpoint. Steve will love it.
    S: Yah, but the calculations still say 2 of every 10 people on the rumors forum will complain.
    D: ------------------ *%$#)$%#* 'em.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would carry another $2k in the bank account ready to replace that laptop in case you drop it OR spill the coffee on it, to be honest. Or, decide which is more important (laptop; coffee) and then carry that first, putting the other down to pick up and carry later.

10. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

It seems that the bottom case is more flexible on certain MacBook Pros.. I went through a total of 5 MBPs because of screen issues and 3 out of 5 had a rock solid bottom case, whereas two of them had a VERY flimsy bottom case.. I think they might have been slightly bent so that even when it's fixed hard with the screws, there was still some wiggle.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This computer is designed by highly skilled designers working with professional engineers. Just because one can sense movement in a part does not mean it's defective. It's also impossible for the flex to allow contact with fan blades. While ones personal preference may be for a rock solid bottom, that should be a factor in the decision making process before buying. Especially if you knew about it before the purchase. Complaining after you give up your cash is a waste of time.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Trust me, this is a lot better than the older chassis where the whole computer flexed because the aluminium was so thin.