Bottom case without serial number?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Oct 24, 2015.

1. sneak3, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I just bought myself a replacement bottom case for my macbook pro because the original one had gone through a lot.
    I didnt realize though that the new one would not have the computer's serial number engraved on it.

Do you guys think thats a big deal? I really like the new case but should I tolerate the cosmetics of the old one because of the serial number?
    It's not on warranty anymore but maybe I'm missing something important here, like resale value. Perhaps people would steer away from buying it due to the absence of an engraved SN, or even simply because it's not an original part?

What do you think?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Replacement bottom cases don't have a serial number, even when ordered via GSX.

3. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes Im now aware of that. As I said Thats what raised my concerns.

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

How could it have your specific serial #. And no, it doesn't matter. JMO

5. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, would it be bad in anyway if I try to sell my old bottom case with my mac's serial on it? Would anyone be able to do bad things by having access to that serial number?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is nothing wrong with selling that. The worst someone could do is lookup your machine's service history, if they have access to GSX.

7. jf1450 macrumors regular

They would have it anyway just by clicking About My Mac.

Jeff

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If a service provider replaces a bottom case, Apple says in their service manual to hand write the old serial number on the inside of the new bottom case. So, if you get it replaced through Apple, you won't see the serial number on the outside anyway.
    Why would you expect to sell your old beat-up bottom case? Nothing wrong with that, but who would want it?