Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scubagal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
After using my macbook for about 10-15 minutes, the area between the two center screws underneath starts heating up. This doesn't seem to impact my using the macbook but am just wondering if this is normal due to the fact that there is no fan.
Is anyone else having this issue? Just wondering if I should bring it in to the apple store for them to check out but am getting ready to leave the country today and won't be back for two weeks.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
After using my macbook for about 10-15 minutes, the area between the two center screws underneath starts heating up. This doesn't seem to impact my using the macbook but am just wondering if this is normal due to the fact that there is no fan.
Is anyone else having this issue? Just wondering if I should bring it in to the apple store for them to check out but am getting ready to leave the country today and won't be back for two weeks.

Some warmth (even up to becoming "very warm") can be perfectly normal.

There's a support article here that you may find helpful:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201640

Includes: "The bottom of your Mac notebook may become very warm during normal use. If your notebook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work surface that allows for good ventilation."

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
I guess this baby from way back when is going to help

310430_20140927012641.jpg

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
I beg to differ. I find that this is the most optimal way to remove ALL issues about heat from the bottom of any device:

Handheld-in-snow-600x400.png
Curse you, subtropics and everyone in it! With your inferior* and less stable climate conditions!

*except in the case of cooling your rMB, which in that case, YMMV or something.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Normal, Apple are using the base of the unibody to dissipate heat from the CPU.

Q-6

This.
And that's the reason why I still prefer an iPad if I need to do something on the bed or on the couch. Putting my MBA on my legs is very annoying in spring and summer as it becomes hot.
Even an iPad gets warm, but it doesn't need to stay on your lap...

Queen6

macrumors G4
This.
And that's the reason why I still prefer an iPad if I need to do something on the bed or on the couch. Putting my MBA on my legs is very annoying in spring and summer as it becomes hot.

Try a 15" rMBP running at full tilt, that will save on any unwanted children :eek::p

Q-6

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
mine doesn't get hot, just warm under normal (light) use.

If you push it, it will get hot i'm sure. If you push it really hard it will shut down (probably).

Actually, I expected it to get a lot hotter with normal use; with Safari, which can be unwieldy.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This.

A lot of times, I'll put my 15" MBP on a pillow on my lap because it gets so hot.

Reactions: ZhenyaF

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
You may be helping your lap by doing that, but I'm afraid you'll only make your MBP run even hotter.

"Set up your notebook on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your notebook on a pillow"

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201640

That's true and that's the reason why I use my Air on the bed only for a short period of time.
But as I said an iPad is way more comfortable than a laptop if you need to use it so the pillow is not really a solution.
And I never use it on the bed while charging, the battery gets too hot

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Where can I buy this???
I actually have one. I bought it at my local office supplies store for Rp. 100k (about $8). Best case scenario, it's from a Chinese manufacture of some sort. Won't be easy finding one in the U.S., except if you're okay waiting for non-traceable shipments from Chinese eBay sellers.

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
That's true and that's the reason why I use my Air on the bed only for a short period of time.
But as I said an iPad is way more comfortable than a laptop if you need to use it so the pillow is not really a solution.
And I never use it on the bed while charging, the battery gets too hot
Random thought, but if the issue with using it on a pillow is based on air circulation, then I would guess there's nothing stopping us using the rMB on a pillow?

Reactions: Zuxor

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Where can I buy this???

There's lots of things like this out there. Look around. I have ones of these. it's not the best, but ok.
Best to just get a nice Targus type lap cushion, rather than some huge desk. But if you want one like that iKea makes one that's really cheap.

It's funny about those bed tables. They are really just like bed/dinner trays, like the ones they have in hospitals, which are actually much nicer as you don't need all that other junk.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Random thought, but if the issue with using it on a pillow is based on air circulation, then I would guess there's nothing stopping us using the rMB on a pillow?

This is correct. The pillow may insulate it a little bit, but no fans mean no blocked air intake ports, and as a result no toasty melty CPUs.

Reactions: Zuxor

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I've been using my rMP on my bed and I have no problem. There is no air vent to worry about. It's the perfect bedtime laptop.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Try a 15" rMBP running at full tilt, that will save on any unwanted children :eek::p

Q-6

In 2006 I got the original 15" Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo. It ran so incredibly hot, that if you licked your finger and touched the bottom back by the fan, it would actually sizzle. I remember my solution was to go to Ikea and they sold a cork pot holder (was almost the same footprint as the mac) that cost about $2 and was the perfect couch mat to separate me from the mac's burns. Then another brand came out with a pad and it was a pellet material inside the pad, and when it heated it up it turned to liquid in the pad. That always creeped me out.

So now when the current Macs get hot, I think back to then and it's like night vs day.

Reactions: Queen6

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
This is correct. The pillow may insulate it a little bit, but no fans mean no blocked air intake ports, and as a result no toasty melty CPUs.

Another way to look at it might be: "no fans means a total reliance on radiant heat dissipation (through the casing, hinge and keyboard)", so insulating it with a pillow is perhaps still best avoided.

The same Apple support article also says:

"Note that you shouldn't keep your notebook or power adapter in your bed or under covers as this doesn't allow adequate airflow."​

Point being that power adapters don't have fans either, but they also still need good airflow and should obviously never be insulated.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Computers have sure came along way in the past decade... I remember when both the laptop and power adapters contained fans!

Im amazed that my rMB is almost always cool to the touch and only warms up detectably during looking at heavy webpages, big downloads on iTunes and updating in the app store.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I am shure there will be a solution by apple soon. Just like the "docking block" to compensate the lack of connection with external devices, they will come out soon with a hand-held battery-driven hand-fan to cool externally. Newest design by apple and just for an extra of 99$ - a must buy…. ;-)

Well, to get serious:

Intel is more than 1 year late with his Skylake-Processors. One, if not the only really advantage of them is an enormous more in efficacy due to its new 15 nm technology. MUCH LESS loss of heat while operating than with former processors. I think apple planned to start the MB12" with the Skylake chips (only 5 Watts of power consumption!) - but did not get delivered by Intel. So - they were forced to use the "old" chips for the MBP, the which get much more hotter than the Skylakes. So - no miracle that the MB12" gets often too hot on your limbs. I know that experience because of my MBP15" 2007 - really got burned more than one time by it. Since then, I purchase always the less powerful processor, but the most Memory and SSD I can get. for the MBP…

Well - so there are some serious points NOT to purchase the nowadays MBP12", and shurely not before they´d be delivered with Broadwells:

1) gets to hot
2) screen too dark (look in the apple stores: they are always on MAX Luminosity, More=impossible)
3) still glaring Screen
4) ONE SINGLE I/O : If the USB C port does not work, you will not even be able to charge your MB!

I looked at the new MB12" in a store a week ago:
Impressing form factor, very thin.
The force-touch-trackpad is shurely very innovative - but we have to wait for software using its capabilities.
The new butterfly keyboard is not as bad as some people say. Could live with it - BUT its been developed just because apple´s "Thinness"-fetishism and NOT AT ALL because you can write better with it! So what?

If the single-port-politics of apple does not stop you from purchasing - you should at least wait for the less hotter Skylake processors - which will even be more performant.

Bottom-line: Lay back and wait for 2nd generation (at least with TWO USB-C ports and performance above iPad Air2 performance..

The day they deliver it with Skylakes, OLED Screen AND at least TWO USB-C ports I will purchase (and retire my iPad) - BUT shurley Never Ever before.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.