Bottom line: Should I get an AppleTV 4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TheLondonFella, Nov 3, 2015.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

I can get free delivery tomorrow, from the Apple Store.

I'm into my Netflix, podcasts & YouTube.

I currently use my AppleTV 3.

Is it worth upgrading just yet?

Are new apps being added daily?

What are the pros/cons against the my current AppleTV 3?

Thanks in advance ...

2. TrueBlou, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Depends on what you want really. If you're happy with the selection of services on the ATV 3, then stick with it. There's also no podcasts app for ATV 4 yet, though I'd be stunned if they weren't making one.

It's still early days for the ATV 4 so there's a limited amount of apps, although yes, new ones are getting added all the time.

Other than apps the only other big difference is Apple Music is available on the ATV 4.

I love the new Apple TV, I love the new interface and the new remote. But I'm also happy to wait it out while they sort out some teething troubles and I don't mind waiting on more apps, I like enough of the ones that are there to be content for a while.

3. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

If you don't need any of the latest apps like Plex or games, 3 reasons to upgrade I can think of are:
    -Performance, the ATV4 is much faster than the ATV3 in navigation and launching of apps
    -Access to AppleMusic to listen to Beats 1 radio
    -Ability to control volume with the new remote

However, if you are happy with the performance of the ATV3, I would suggest waiting a few weeks/months until Apple starts cleaning things up a bit. The UI has a few rough edges like password entry and app discovery that Apple needs to respond to.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I still can't get a really definitive answer on this:

Is AirPlay noticeably better? Less latency when connecting? More stable?

Anyone have any comments on that aspect? I'm right in the OP's boat of really not needing anything the new machine brings, but I do like hardware bumps for usability - but $$$ ouch...

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I think you've sort of answered you're own question. AirPlay seems a little better, but not a hundred and odd bucks better. If you don't need anything the ATV 4 does, there's no point buying it.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yeah - I just can't decide if I should just keep the new one since it's clearly the way forward.

Also, if it gets jailbroken I'll already have one in hand to play with.

Hmm.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's never easy deciding these things, if you've already got it and your not fussed about the money, I'd say keep it unless your absolutely sure you'll never need more than the services you can get on the ATV 3, in which case return the new one and just enjoy what you have. Sooner or later there will be things added to the new one your bound to get some enjoyment from.

8. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Thanks for the response, buddy ...

9. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Thanks, fella.

I think I'm actually going to wait it out.

As you say, my ATV3 suits my needs thus far.

However, when some killer apps appear on the new ATV3 then I'll get one.

Cheers :)

10. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I feel I am in a similar boat.
    I have the ATV3...it works fine but is slow to see my movies in cloud.

I wasn't too interested in ATV4 but then seeing some games, educational content, and the new UI...I kinda like it. BUT I feel the ATV3 really does all i need. if ATV4 had Amazon Prime App and a UV app, then it might be a better seller for me.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Well. Mine arrived and I used it a bunch.

It's fine. Nothing revolutionary if you ask me, mainly just faster and the apps are/will be better & richer now.

Not a "must" upgrade, but if you're going to even have an Apple TV around anymore, I'd grab the 32gb and call it good.

I wish they would have sold a non Siri remote version at $99 or something. It's nice for scrolling, but that's all I liked about it and ultimately my harmony setup wins out as I like the one remote solution for my complex setup.

I suppose I could sell the Siri remote. Might look at that.

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz