Bottom of MacBook Pro meant to be dented?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrgreenfirework, Apr 15, 2016.

1. mrgreenfirework macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've recently noticed that the plastic parts (either side of the hinge) under the screen of my 13" Retina MacBook Pro has dents on it on either side. I'm currently not near MacBook Pros I can compare it with and wanted to find out if this is an intentional design choice or if I have damaged it? Is it the same on your Macbooks?

Attached file to picture of what I'm seeing (sorry it's not the clearest, lens didn't focus well)

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

My 15 is the same way and i can insure its never been mis-handled so it must be normal.... if you watch it very carefully when closing the lid it looks like it has to be like that to clear the chassis.

3. mrgreenfirework thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I was just worried about it because I accidentally pushed the screen back too far and I thought it may have dented it or something.

Anyone with 13" can confirm?

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Mine was dented out of the box.

I deliberately unboxed it with my sales person watching immediately after purchasing it at the store... just in case it was defective. That was the best way to assure I wouldn't get blamed for a problem.

I have found Apple quality to be in decline with recent purchases.

5. mrgreenfirework thread starter macrumors newbie

Dented where exactly? :)

6. RevToTheRedline, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I just want to make it clear, the OP's concern about what he thinks is dented is NOT dented its a design feature so the lid can close for pete sake, the plastic lower hinge cover on the monitor is MOLDED that way.

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're blind defense of Apple is impressive. Somehow you seem to actually believe what you've posted.

Mine came out of a pristine box, the Apple Store Manager agreed the three dents side, top and bottom along with the scratches were likely overlooked as it passed through whatever quality checks Apple has the Chinese assembler performing. Being a CTO order caused another two month wait.

8. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I hear HP makes pretty good computers. Faster, thinner, cheaper, no dents probably.

9. mrgreenfirework thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Can't see what you're talking about because you have managed to take an out of focus photo.

11. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Ever consider picking up a more productive hobby? Sitting on an Apple-centered forum all day bashing Apple just makes you come across as a miserable individual.

Maybe try knitting?

12. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

It's supposed to be like in order for the lid to be able to clear the chassis properly when you open or close it. There is nothing wrong with your computer.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Like others have stated, it's normal and not a dent so to speak but a design to allow the screen to close correctly. Mine has it as well on both sides