Bottom of the MacBook White Unibody.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stephen Dowling, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hello everyone! Today I was at my local Apple store and looking at the Unibody White MacBook. I know that the bottom almost seems like it has a rubberized finish, so I was curious to see how bad it attracted dirt. So, I flipped the MacBook over to the bottom and it was absolutely disgusting from being in a not-too-crowded Apple store.

Could you please share your experiences regarding the bottom of the Unibody White MacBook?

Thanks everyone,

Stephen.

2. russoakes macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I would say that it's not the bottom that attracts dust but the rest of the polycarbonate shell.

The rubberized bottom stays pretty fresh, but I find tons of little bits of lint all over my keyboard, it's like it's statically attracted them, which is probably not far from the truth really.

The rubber on the bottom is a genius idea though and doesn't get mucky or at least mine hasn't yet.

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

You have to get a case if you want to keep it clean, thinking that the case is 50-70$ if you want to buy the white MacBook better get a MacBook Pro for an extra 200$ which means no case forever, and a better quality

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

5. Licious macrumors newbie

I personally have no problems with the rubberized bottom. Yes, it does get a bit dirty, but I find just wiping it down once a week when I clean the rest of the unit keeps it look nice.

The dirtiest parts tend to be the corners, but like I said easy to clean!

I bet its dirty at the store because they don't really seem to bother keeping the units clean and polished, at least not at my closest store!

6. smithmax13 macrumors member

What?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hmm, stuff shouldn't stick to the bottom... Then again, it doesn't matter because your never going to look at the bottom anyway:D

8. mrwashi macrumors newbie

I got bodyguardz on the bottom of mine and its flawless.

Its also grippy as well so it serves what the rubberized bottom was supposed to do with the advantage of having a clean underside.

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I had this too, I couldn't believe how much fluff decided to stick to it

Mine did get dirty (see photos) but it was a much better bottom case - it actually stuck to your leg rather than sliding around when using it on a train/coach etc

This is always the biggest load of rubbish. You do not need a skin for your laptop. The skin is made out of plastic, so is the laptop, they are both as protective as eachother.

Also, if you are trying to stop scratches, understand that:

1. If you put a shell on your laptop, you will not see the apple design AT ALL

2. The shells often cause scratches themselves

Mine did that too

10. Julee macrumors newbie

That's what i did, i flipped the Macbook over at the shop and the stains are :eek: ... Bought a red casing for it. Looks better ;)

11. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

OK, so which company makes the BEST bottom case protector for the late 2009 Macbook 13"? Zagg? Bestskinsever? Bodyguardz? Moshi? Anyone want to weigh in on this?

12. Julee macrumors newbie

I am using Speck though. Covers the top and bottom, just like those plastic covers for mobile phones :)

13. mrwashi macrumors newbie

I've noticed with Bodyguardz films, there aren't that orange peel (lumpy) look to them.

All the others had the orange peel effect on the film which really wasnt that nice.

I've used body guardz on my iphone, omnia and unibody macbook.

If you get the full protector you get the palm rest protector and the track pad protector as well so its quite good.

14. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this is nonsense, the polycarbonate macbooks have, since their introduction, always been more resilient to knocks, falls and scrapes than their aluminium counter parts.

If you want to stretch this further, you could say that this 'feature' was always part of the design of apple's consumer notebook, as it was part of SJ's original blurb on how great the ibook G3 was

Stephen: don't get a stick on case, its a ludicrous idea as the laptops are already designed with a degree of durability in mind. If you drop it, a thin rubber case is not going to make any difference, and if it is to 'protect' it from scratches, then you have paid for a designer computer that now looks worse than your average dell.

Im guessing its only the very young who use these, I have never seen a single adult using one