Bottom of touch screen on 2G non responsive

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by applemike, Apr 10, 2010.

1. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Hello,

I have owned my iPod touch 2G for 1 year, maybe 2 now, i cant remember, but today, i powered it up, and went to slide to unlock,

Nothing

SO i pressed the sleep button for however many seconds and slid to power off, this worked.

So when powering it on again i still could not slide to unlock.

Ive reinstalled my firmware and re synced it with iTunes and the prolem still persists.

The screen is in good condition apart from one small tiny crack on the bottm right, about a third of the way up from the screen. However i have had this crack a long time and never had a problem like this

Any help???

:apple:Mike

Cheers

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Sounds like the digitizer is failing, the crack may have got to a point where it has interrupted the current passing through the screen.

3. dave22r macrumors member

i have a very similar problem. took ipod apart to replace screen (dropped in water --backlight issue). pulled it apart, cracked the screen about 1/4" in top right corner in the process. backlight magically started working and i put it all back together. now digitalizer top works to power off, bottom doesn't work to unlock.

???!?!?!?!?!???!!!!??

4. applemike thread starter macrumors 6502

applemike

Ive ordered the parts to resolve my problem, ive orered a new digitizer from eBay, modest at only £15.00 and when taking the digitizer off, i cracked it more :( and damaged the LCD, so ive ordered one of them for £18 off eBay

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Get a new bezel (plastic frame that holds the digitizer in place) as well cause they are never the same after being removed.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I have a similar issue with my Nov 2007 16GB 1st gen iPT also, its in the 3rd week "row" of the calendar where the buttons are close together and most pronounced in that app... apple said it couldn't be fixed so they gave me a 3 Gen iPT 32 GB model for $199 plus tax.

I don't know if I want to keep it or wait for the 4th gen iPT's to come out?

What are the updates supposed to bring, I haven't seen much speculation on 'em yet?...

7. applemike thread starter macrumors 6502

applemike

Not sure, iPods are traditionally updated in september, (apple usually hold a music event, releasing major updates to itunes and the iPod line then) not sure what itll bring, i havent been speculating much as im going for an iPad when i can get one in the UK

My plastic bezel is destroyed, i havent found one on the interweb to buy though, if you can find one, can you send me a link?? UK please???

cheers

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

There is one on amazon.uk

and another on ebay.uk

These guys also have a UK address for cheque payment HERE