Bottom of Touchpad Unresponsive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhyno37, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

I recently got a 13" MBP and not sure if the problem I'm having is normal or a problem. About the bottom 1/8", maybe 1/4" at most of my trackpad does not work horizontally if you start your finger there. Now if you start it somewhere else on the trackpad then travel down there it works.

I'm not sure if I'm picking apart my MBP too much or if it's a legitimate problem. If you guys wouldn't mind testing this I'd appreciate it, thanks.

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

You're picking it apart. Mine does the same thing ;)

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I just tried it on my 2008 aluminum macbook (swiping finger horiozontally at the very bottom of the trackpad) and it does the same thing. I would imagine that this is intentional since that's where the physical click area is. The trackpad probably ignores input in a small area there under certain circumstances in case you're actually trying to click.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The bottom quarter of the trackpad will register your finger but it won't obscure the data sent by a second finger above it. They intentionally did this so you could put your thumb at the bottom (like you could with the trackpads with buttons) and still control things.

If they didn't do this, you'd have a hell of a hard time clicking and dragging anything.

But yea, the button is easier to press as you go farther and farther down the pad.

5. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought so haha, I bought a macbook because I'm so OCD when it comes to build quality. Great so far :D