Bottom rubber peeling off

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by solara, Nov 27, 2010.

1. solara macrumors newbie

The bottom rubber of my MacBook is peeling off. It's a late 2009 model, bought in March of this year. I've seen a few other complaints about this and I plan to take it into the Genius Bar next week on my day off from classes, but I wondered if anyone knew why this was happening. Is it a sign of a deeper fault with the computer, like a logic board problem? Or is it just a weird issue that sometimes happens? Do you think it will be replaced under warranty? The MacBook is usually just used at a desk where it can cool off and the fans aren't blocked, it doesn't go outside into the heat or anything. Sometimes it gets really hot but that's usually Flash's fault. I can't think of anything I did to cause this. Does anyone know anything more about this?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

There is rubber on the bottom of MacBooks?

3. solara thread starter macrumors newbie

Not my MacBook, but this is what it looks like. It's detached from almost the entirety of the left side.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Since it's a fairly new machine and obviously still in warranty. Why not return it to the store or seek assistance from a Apple service centre? :rolleyes: There's nothing anyone here can do besides give you advice.

5. solara thread starter macrumors newbie

I said in the first post I'm taking it in next week. What I was wondering is if this is an isolated event, and the rubber peeling off has no effect on the rest of the machine, or if it's caused by something else and could be the first sign of a bigger problem. (For example, if it's linked to overheating, would that indicate a fan failure, a CPU about to go, etc.) Does anyone know if the bottom peeling correlates with any other problem?

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

That is very strange. I would expect apple will repair it. It would be difficult for them to suggest you somehow caused such extreme case warping.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Does that part of the MacBook heat up? Becomes significantly hotter, so hot it's melting/deforming the polycarbonate?

8. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

It happened on mine. It's an isolated issue. They will replace your bottom plate with one with little holes in the aluminum inside. Let's see if it fixes it for good. The rubber is a tricky thing especially when glued. The new bottom plate doesn't even feel like rubber it has no grip.