Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I had a $25 gift card to Apple. Nice cheaper alternative. I like how thick the Griffin cable is. Kids will have to work hard to damage this one. Already replaced 4 cables since they pulled on the cables and separated the cable cover from the connector.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Kids will have to work hard to damage this one. Already replaced 4 cables since they pulled on the cables and separated the cable cover from the connector.

Making them pay, with money or chores, for the replacement cables is a great way to teach them to be careful.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Making them pay, with money or chores, for the replacement cables is a great way to teach them to be careful.

Apple replaces free when there is anything wrong with the cables. Trust me, they were scolded for doing it. I even made them ask for the replacement and say what happened. Has not happened in awhile thankfully.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Purchased this about 3 months ago, so happy that I did. Its just under 9 feet all together, and it charges my iPhone faster than the original outlet.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjA&mco=MTgzOTk0NzQ#overview

After seeing this, I tried the same cord extension on my MacBook charger and it fit / worked with the iPad charger. Wish I thought of this before! Just slide out the 2 prong plug with the 3 prong adaptor. We have 2 iPads and several iPhones/touch. Now I have 2 extra long chargers when needed! Thanks for sharing this.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I've got something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F3U134-10-Extension-Cable-10-Feet/dp/B00001ZWXA

Does a similar job in conjunction with the standard iPad cable, but nice and cheap. :)

You have to be careful with standard USB extenders; depending on the quality, they might use very thin gauge wire for the power wires and, because the iPad takes a higher charging current than the iPhone, that can easily result in a voltage drop at the 30 pin connector that is sufficient to stop the iPad fully charging (I know this from personal experience).

You seem to have got an extender that is up for the job but, at 10 foot extension, you really did dodge a bullet on that one. I would be concerned that it is sufficiently borderline that other people with a very slightly different charge current and/or slightly worse resistance in the connectors might not have such good results even with the same Belkin part. Personally I'd go with the 16 gauge Griffin cable that started this thread.

- Julian

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I found it best to just use a light duty ac extension cord and plug the charger into it and you can not worry about third party cords.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.