Bought 13" but "I" key sticks! geez..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Character Zero, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Character Zero macrumors member

Just my luck. Bought the 13" ($1299) from Best Buy yesterday. Going through set up I notice that the "i" is not working right. It sucks since my email has 2 "i"'s in it. Its like the top right corner of the key is stuck. So it doesn't have the feel of the other keys. I was busy last night and couldn't take it back, but its going back today. I just hope they have a replacement system and I don't have to wait for a shipment or something. Otherwise the system was great. It had the LG/Toshiba screen/drive combo. So maybe I will get something different this time. I know its a nitpik but i paid $1300 for a system, it should be as close to perfect as possible as far as the build quality goes.

Also, when I logged in the App Store had 3 updates - GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto. Is this how they deliver iLife '11 to these devices? And since they show up there, would they be now available to my older iMac? (in my purchase history). I did get to do a recovery reinstall since I had logged in when the key thing became a problem (I thought it was just stiff and would work itself out). It took me like 4 tries to get the reinstall to work. It was going super slow, but finally I got a faster connection I guess and it took around 2 hours to download and then install.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the keyboard is not functioning, then return/exchange it. The cost of the laptop is high enough that having a sticky "I" means you shouldn't live with it.

3. Character Zero thread starter macrumors member

Yeah totally, but its a hassle. I just hope they have a replacement. But they did tell me on the phone they don't charge a restocking fee. Otherwise the system is so dang fast. I was almost leaning towards the 13 MBP and maybe could have waited but I like the form factor of the air and the higher resolution.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, that's how they deliver the iLife updates. Be sure to do that, because if you don't, and ultimately need to use the restore partition and haven't accepted the updates, I've heard you might lose the update code.

But what if it has the Samsung display and SSD? :)

5. Character Zero thread starter macrumors member

Well guess wll have to lve wth that. would rather be able to type correctly. whch dsplay s better than the other?

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Agreed. I was just teasing. Supposedly the Samsung is better on both, but particularly on the display, there is debate on that (read the other threads on the subject).

7. Character Zero thread starter macrumors member

Regardless of benchmarks and whatnot, what I had looked and ran pretty darn good.

8. Character Zero thread starter macrumors member

Just an update :
    Best Buy exchanged the Air no problem. First thing I checked was the keys. Everything works, and now I can enjoy my new laptop.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

iThink that's terrible. If iWere you, iWouldn't press the iKey too often ;)

Glad you got a replacement ;)