Bought 13 inch Macbook Pro - regretting it, switch to Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rondocap, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. rondocap macrumors regular

    Jun 18, 2011
    So I bought the higher end 13 inch macbook pro, 2012.

    I popped in an SSD, and performance wise I am very happy.

    It's also a good portable size, but my concern is the screen.

    The screen is fairly bright, the best way I can describe it is when looking down at the dock, everything is just a bit brighter. When comparing to the retina, the retina is much sharper, darker, and more defined.

    Obviously I know the retina is far superior, but I am starting to regret the 13 inch a bit. It's nearly a $700 difference.

    Once again, performance wise I am content with the 13 inch, I just wish it had a better screen. What do you guys think?
  2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020


    Feb 16, 2012
    remember while the 15' retina is thinner it is also bigger and not as portable, if you think you can afford the extra and need that screen go for it.
  3. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 13, 2009
    think about this. Are you willing to pay $700 just because the screen looks good. Hell No.

    Unless you are rich, then do it..
  4. jtap macrumors member

    Feb 19, 2010
    I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch base that I am in the process of selling since I placed an order for the base RMBP. While I loved the portability of the 13in MBP, I always yearned for a bit larger of a screen size. I take my laptop to work everyday and back home with me at night, so those are really the only two times I need "portability" (I don't walk around to classes or anything). I also now have an 11in Air that I can use in the event I need more portability in the future.

    So for me the 15in MBP is the perfect size for my usage. It is also worth noting that I hook it up to a Thunderbolt Display at work but will also use the 15in for a "secondary display" similar to how I used my 13in. I do plan to use it without an external display at home as a secondary computer (have an iMac at home).

    I guess if you feel you need a bit bigger screen size than a 13in the 15in is what you are after..
  5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816


    Nov 8, 2010
    South Carolina
    Wirelessly posted

    I went through the same thing. I got the 13" w/ a 3rd party SSD.

    For me, I can wait another 2 to 3 years for SSD prices to come down and then when a retina is offered in the 13" I'll probably pull the trigger.

    I just can't justify the premium at this time. The 13" was good to me in the past, it will serve my purposes in the future. Iwhen it's time for me to upgrade again (2 to 3 years), I'll see what Apple offers at that time.
  6. OSMac, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

    OSMac macrumors 65816

    Jun 14, 2010
    I have the retina and its much bigger than the 13, that is the only downside.
    It's not the screen that is the issue its the big base. Maybe too big?

    If that does not bother you, then the retina's display is amazing.

    The 13 looks very pixelated to me next to the retina, value/cost is your call :)
  7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Dec 21, 2011
    Apples to oranges...

    Return it, cross your fingers and hope the next MBP13 has a better display. (i.e., a dumbed-down, less power hungry retina). Of course you won't be able to upgrade it I'm guessing.

    3rd party SSD prices won't matter if you can't upgrade that new MBP13. (like the new Retina MBP today).
  8. LeGacY X macrumors member

    LeGacY X

    Jul 26, 2008
    VA, USA
    If the subpar screen resolution really bothers you that much, I would upgrade if you can afford it, It will make a big difference in the long run. :D
  9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

    Jul 28, 2011
    You say that, but the screen is the only real thing going for it, unless people with 15" laptops really need the new formfactor. People are very much buying it for the screen.
  10. drewyboy macrumors 65816

    Jan 27, 2005
    why did you go w/ the high end 13"? I honestly don't see a $300 justifiable difference.

Share This Page