Bought 15 inch rMBP today, received LG SJA1 display...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NowhereOutThere, Apr 1, 2013.

1. NowhereOutThere macrumors member

I've been very excited to purchase the 15 inch retina MBP, and did so today (base model, early 2013). I just checked the display using the command line and it appears that I've received one of the LG displays that can produce IR... I'm not sure how widespread this is, or if it guaranteed to develop over time. So far, everything looks great and I am not sure if I want to be "that person" who has the Apple associate open up box after box of rMBPs to find one that is an updated panel. I'm not very familiar with the entire IR issue, so forgive me if this is a question already answered, but:

1. Is the image burn in going to happen at some point?

2. Will Apple replace my unit if the display ends up producing the IR issue at some point down the road (as long as I'm in warranty...)?

Thanks!

2. defektion macrumors regular

1. It may or may not. Depends how big of a deal it is to you.

2. They may or may not replace it, depending on how severe it is.

Everyone has had different experiences. If it becomes a persistent problem, take your chances.

I bought my rMBP back in August 2012, there was noticeable IR, along with some backlight bleed. I brought it in over the past weekend to get replaced but it didn't get replaced for IR but for the backlight bleed.

I got lucky and ended up with a 661-7171 screen (Samsung)

So I guess I have the desired configuration for an rMBP now.

3. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Depends how obsessive you want to be.

I have a 6 month old rMBP with an LG display. When I run the IR test, I can see a little IR on the grey background.

However, in the 6 months I've used it, I've never seen IR in normal daily use. In fact the only time I even remember it exists is when I visit this forum. Then I spend the next couple of minutes peering 6 inches from my screen looking for the tiniest indication of IR - sometimes it shows up on the panels in Photoshop due to the grey UI and disappears after a few seconds.

Then I go back to using the machine normally and not even noticing it until the next time I visit macrumors.

So essentially, if no one told you about IR, there'd be a reasonable chance you'd never even realize there was a problem.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

If I were you I would just return the laptop and ask for another. I'd say more likely than not the display will show some signs, if not major signs, of image retention. I personally experienced the SJA1 LG and I watched the retention worsen over the ~7 months I used it. Even though it's not something that makes the machine unusable, it's just not something you should have to deal with a $2500 machine. And you might as well take advantage of the return policy since it would save the extra trips and time you'd spend dealing with the Genius Bar.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

So instead of risking an extra trip down the line to replace his display, he should make a guaranteed extra trip down there now to replace it?

There's some logic for you.

Op: just enjoy your new machine. If it develops a fault, they'll fix it. Like someone else said, if it wasn't for some people on MacRumors making a mountain out of a molehill, the vast majority of people wouldn't know IR existed.

6. bbapps macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, where did you buy; direct from apple or a reseller?

7. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

The issue with this approach is that if he tries to have it repaired after the 14 day period, apple might say that he's within spec and he's stuck with it (assuming an issue arrises)

8. NowhereOutThere thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I think I'm just going to exchange it for a new one today and get this over with. I noticed that when I hid the dock, there is a small band running on the bottom the width of the dock, so I'm assuming that is the image retention. I bought it from the Apple store directly, for what its worth.

9. karpich1 macrumors regular

I'm curious where/how you bought it?

I imagine that a lot of Brick-and-Mortar stores would still have the older screen, even if Apple has been switching the part during manufacturing.

And would hope that something ordered in the last few days and shipped to your house today would have the newer part.