Bought 16GB, Now want 64GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mademan118, Sep 17, 2014.

1. mademan118 macrumors regular

After talking it over with my girlfriend, we both have decided that the 64GB would best fit our needs going forward. Problem is, we ordered 16gb iPhone 6 plus models. Can't decide what to do:

- Return and reorder
    - Sell iPhone 6 plus on craiglist then buy 64gb from apple
    -Keep 16gb for now, then upgrade to 64 with Jump when when the next 's' variant comes out

What have you guys done or what do you suggest? We are doing AT&T -> T-Mobile, but are most likely considering selling the 16gb and buying from apple outright.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try to return it? Though it will be a mad house and they'll probably not have any stock as they'll want to fulfill other buyer's orders first.

3. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I don't see how anyone could go with 16gb. I had a 32GB iPhone 4 that was always running out of space. Just bought a 16gb iPad and feeling the heat but at least there are cloud services now.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You will have plenty of time to think about it.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If you're buying contract-free from T-Mobile, then just cancel your orders if they haven't shipped yet. If they have, and you can afford it, buy again from Apple and just return those 2 (unopened). Going through CL (or eBay) is sometimes more trouble than it's worth.

6. iMatt. macrumors 6502

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Nowadays it's pretty easy to get by with 16GB, especially with (as you mentioned) cloud services filling in the storage gap. Between iTunes Match, Netflix, Plex, iCloud Drive, and more it seems like I don't have to keep anything on my phony anymore except for apps.

That being said I decided to get the 128GB 6+ just because.

8. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Each of you stand in line at different stores and hopefully one of you will find stock of 64 gb phones that you want.

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

If you can afford to get 2 more phones, i suggest you line up thursday night. When you get your unwanted phones on friday, just resell it at mark up.

If you are on contract with a GSM carrier (ATT, Tmo), get a T-mobile contract free one in an Apple Store.

For sprint and verizon models, the only option would be returning it (correct me if i'm wrong).

Goodluck!

10. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

But see the problem is I've had the iPad two days and it's already full. I want to be able to add whole movies and TV shows, magazines, lots of photos etc.

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I keep movies and TV shows on my Plex server at home; many terabytes of storage there and I just stream what I want to watch. For the 1% of the time that I'm not able to access a network of some kind I usually have forewarning and bring a portable drive with me.

I understand that's not a solution for everyone, just explaining how I've gotten away with 16GB devices for so long now.

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The 64GB is a no brainer. I do, understand, $100 is a lot for many. Cancel or return your order and repurchase.

13. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Is this plex free??

14. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly we have always had 16gb iPhones. It has never ever been a problem. Everyone says the cloud will solve the problem, but I am VERY hesitant to trust the cloud with anything after what just happened. And because of that security breach and leak of data, I feel having a higher capacity device where things can be stored (still vulnerable no doubt) is one of the most secure options.

I just wonder.. if we receive our 16GB t-mobile iPhone 6 Plus's and then sell them on craiglist for $850, could we then turn around and initiate Jump to get the 64gb iPhone on t-mobile and pay the balance off? Or is it better to just sell the phone and buy unlocked from Apple?

15. munakib macrumors 6502

return the phone back to apple and order a new one. taking the hassle of reselling is just not worth it. BTW i think 16Gb should be fine for you.

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It is for most features; I pay $3.99 a month to get the latest updates and stuff. It's well worth it; I have used a lot of different media managers/streamers, and Plex has by far been the best of them all.

http://plex.tv