Bought 16GB & went back for 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iUser4Lyfe, Jun 22, 2009.

1. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Who else is having the same thoughts? At launch I was on top of the world. Owned the best phone on the planet AND showed fiscal responsibility by settling for the 16GB. Now I'm having those second thoughts lol. Anyone else? Already made the decision to switch?

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

It's fiscally responsible to pay $100 less for half as much storage?

The 32GB sounds like a much better deal to me.

3. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you go in within 30 days and exchange (pay the difference of course) for the sime reason of wanting more space? Can this be done at any AT&T/Apple store or does it have to be where you bought it at?

4. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

I did it back when I got my 3G. Originally bought an 8 and decided I needed more room. Just brought it back and paid the difference a few days later :)

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've never tried it, but when you do can you keep the rest of us posted?

6. sparkles61785 macrumors regular

I'm having second thoughts as well. However, since I ordered online, I don't have the option of bringing it in to Apple for an exchange. So I have to stick with it. I'm not sending it in and holding out for weeks for a new one.

7. iUser4Lyfe thread starter macrumors 6502

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I haven't tried it, and I more likely won't because 16gb is enough for me, but I did ask the apple associate just incase I wanted to upgrade color or storage, she told me I had 30 days to do so.

9. wr1020 macrumors regular

I was thinking the same, i ordered a 16gb from apple.com and was gonna call one of the apple stores in my area to see if i can bring it in and swap it for a 32gb. I'll call them tomorrow.

10. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I DID! I bought a 16GB on launch day at an AT&T store, then returned a few hours later to exchange it for a 32GB. There were no problems because the AT&T guy told me I had 30 days to exchange the 16GB. No restocking fees or anything, I simply paid $100 more.

11. bossku69 macrumors newbie

look at it in terms of resale value. i bought the 16GB iPhone 3G when it came out and had to wait an extra week to get one in the mail. my friend got an 8GB because he could not wait.

I just sold my 16GB on CL for $350... he's still trying to sell his for $200. I basically sold my old phone, bought the new 3GS and had enough for some pizza at the mall :D

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

other way

I'm actually thinking of doing the opposite
    I bought the 32gb, but really only think I'll need the 16gb, so I might swap it out.

13. Hardsheller macrumors member

I bought a 16 GB 3G on May 27. The 3G S was announced a week later and AT&T shipped me a new 32 GB 3G S last week, and I sent my 16 GB 3G back in the mail yesterday - easy peasy!

14. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I bought a 16gb and have been considering getting a 32gb. Only thing, I have my phone the way I like it. I dont want to go through all this settings crap again.

15. datamage macrumors member

I shipped my 16GB back to Apple yesterday.

Long story short, they told me I had to return the 16GB and wait to become eligible for the 32GB (to get my discount again.) They couldn't allow me to exchange the 16 for a 32, which I find ridiculous. Spoke to 2 different reps, a manager, and the outcome was the same.

All in all, they have to receive my 16GB, process the return, and then AT&T has to do whatever the hell they have to do, in order for me to repurchase the phone.

Truth be told, I would've kept the 16GB, but the 'pale' screen would've driven me nuts. Since I figured I was going to exchange it anyway, might as well go for the 32. (I should've just bought the 32 to begin with.)

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Sounds more like impulse buying and not thinking things through. $100 over the 2 year AT&T contract is less than $5 per month. Anyone who can afford AT$T can afford the extra $5 a month for the extra storage.

17. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I love the fact the iPhone now comes with a 32GB option. I really wish syncing was faster. I cannot fathom having to sit and wait for my iphone to backup, sync and restore 32GB after every update. bleh

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I did the same thing. I reserved a 16GB before AT&T knocked $200 more off the price. When I went to the Apple Store Friday morning, they did not have any more 32GB blacks available, so I took the 16GB they reserved for me. After figuring out that I did need more space, I went back that night and got a 32GB black after a new shipment came in during the afternoon. They just made me pay the difference.

19. chrisjburgess macrumors newbie

I might do the same, bought a 16 and now want a 32... I bought mine online with AT&T, do I have to use the same method to swap it out or can I just go into an AT&T store?

20. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I cancelled my 16GB order when I first pre-oredered on the 11th and changed it to a 32GB. I am so glad I made that decision as I have been loading this baby up since, not to mention I have been taking a ton of videos of my daughter which also eat up space.

21. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

The 32 is the best deal going if you can get it for the subsidized price. Wish I could do it myself tbh.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No, its fiscally responsible not to blow 100 on something you don't think you need.

23. wr1020 macrumors regular

So i called apple this morning and asked if i can swap my 16 for a 32 and they said no, since i ordered it online all exchanges have to be done online. Kinda dumb but it is what it is. Does anyone know how exchanging it works, would i be phoneless for a week or so until they exchange them or do they send me a 32 then i send them my 16 back once i get it? This is my only phone so not having one for a week wouldn't work out.

24. datamage macrumors member

You have to send them back the 16, and wait for the 32. I spent a couple of hours with them on the phone this weekend, and I had no luck. So much for Apple's great service.

Edit: On top of that, they said I couldn't do an exchange for the 32, I had to return the 16, and then purchase the 32GB.

25. wr1020 macrumors regular

That sucks, that really isn't worth the trouble for me. Not like i'm running out of space on my 16 but looking at it now the 32 is really the better value. Should of just gone that route to begin with but oh well.