bought 1st gen iphone cheap!, but very tiny dent, is applecare worthless now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ride9650, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

So I got a fantastic deal today on a first gen 8 gig iphone with applecare! Its in pretty good condition, the only wear being around the top of the phone and even then, the wear isn't that bad.

Things went good as I was testing it out, however, once I got home, much to my dismay, the vibration motor stopped functioning!

I don't think its software related unfortunately as when you flick the silent switch, you can hear a very faint click-click.

However, like the subject says there is a tiny dent near the silent switch. Though its possible, I highly doubt it was because of dropping the phone, given that the major wear and tear seems to be towards the top of the phone, along the rest of the body, theres a few faint scratches here and there, but nothing huge.

I am aware that apple won't cover drops, but if its decided that the phone was dropped, will the warranty be void? Or is that stipulation just simply to keep people who abuse the casing from getting a new phone.

I'm not exactly concerned, as the price was good enough that I'm sure I can at least break even as is, but if I decide to keep it, it'd be nice to get it fixed.

Trying to find warranty description on apple site, thought I'd post here too in the meantime.

Thanks!

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

I'd take it in. The worst they can say is "no." ;)

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

"Yeah. Hey Apple, I bought this first generation iPhone and I was using it when all of a sudden a dent appeared. Is there a widespread issue of automatic denting iPhones?" :D

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

Exactly. Why not try? The worst they'll do is refuse to replace it. :confused:

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the worst that can happen is that you have wasted some time in your effort to get it fixed.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AppleCare must be purchased within 12 months of original purchase, regardless of the current owners recent purchase. Hopefully you can still purchase the extended warranty.....

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

He's not trying to replace it because of the dent, he's replacing it because the vibration isn't working.

9. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes thats correct, haha, i realized my subject line was a little poorly worded so I had actually made another post.

yea, the vibration motor is shot...

but there's a dent!

I guess I'll give it a shot and take it in once the apple care transfers over