Bought 1st Mac (Mini), should I go iMac instead?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shabob2014, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Shabob2014, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

Shabob2014 macrumors newbie

Mac Mini ($1079CDN)(Hooked up to Dell Ultrasharp 24")
    2.8GHz
    8GB
    256GB SSD PCIE

I've only had it 1 day but I'm feeling like maybe an iMac would be a better route?

iMac ($1599CDN)(Absolute max budget)
    2.7GHz (But it's desktop class, so much faster)
    8GB
    256GB SSD SATA3 (Slower, but I think CPU more than makes up? Can't be THAT much slower?)

I'm thinking the Mini ($1079)
    + KB/Mouse ($150)
    + 21.5" IPS (~$200) =$1429

Only $170 difference between the Mini and the iMac. I'd be getting a Quad Core CPU that's significantly faster.

My uses are basic: iTunes, making invoices (MS Word), Dropbox, email, Safari etc

Thoughts? Comments? Do you think $170 is worth the jump? I've got 2 weeks to return the Mini.

Thanks all, and believe me I'm loving OS X so far!:D

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

For your needs either machine would be fine. The only plus I can see is if your care about how the machine looks, there is no doubt an iMac has got to be more esthetic than your MM setup.

3. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

The SSD in the iMac is a PCI-E blade as well, though only 2 lanes (max 700 MB/s), don't know about the Mac Mini.

I'd go with the iMac, you're getting well over $170 worth of additional hardware niceties (all-in-one cleanliness, superb quality throughout vs clunky plastic and cables).

4. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

iMac will be better for the money, Mac mini will provide the portability and ability to switch displays. If you plan to use it as a desktop in the same place for years, iMac is definitely a good choice.

5. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I have a well spec'd 2012 mini on a Dell 2713 monitor. This monitor uses the same LCD as the iMac 27 (non retina of course). Yet, I keep staring at the iMac in the Apple store and marvel how much nicer it is. I think the glass contributes a lot to contrast. Not sure what it is, but I'm selling my $700 monitor and mini and making room for my retina iMac. I'm not going with separate pieces again until a retina thunderbolt display comes available and they do something significant with the mini.

6. Shabob2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info so far. I'm still back and forth but had a few more questions.

Will the 4308U start to show it's age after 2-3 years more-so than the 4570R? Right now the machine is very quick for everything I do with it, but I'm keeping it for 3 years. I don't want it to turn into a snail after the next OS X release.

How glossy is the iMac screen? My Ultrasharp is matte which is VERY important to me. I won't be able to get to a store to see an iMac screen in detail until the weekend.