Bought 2015 pro 15 broken display no OS X, how to reinstall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paperpusher34, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Paperpusher34 macrumors newbie

Paperpusher34

I Got a crazy good deal on a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with level 2 specs. The screen is cracked and useless. He said he hooked up computer to external display to wipe hard drive completely. Then he tried to reinstall osx but the computer wouldn't recognize the external monitor because no OS X. For the price I took the risk. It turns on and makes a chime but I can't tell if it works other than that. Is there someway to reinstall software in the state that it's in? Thanks

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure external displays works in recovery mode, try that?

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

It should really work fine with an external monitor.

Do SMC and NVRAM resets for good measure if you haven't.

4. Paperpusher34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Paperpusher34

I just tried this. I hooked up hdmi and turned on laptop in recovery mode. Nothing came up on the screen.

5. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Hm, try mDP port if you can? It should show on monitor if it's in clamshell mode with both power and keyboard/mouse connected.

6. Paperpusher34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Paperpusher34

I think I have a mini display port to hdmi connector, I'll give it a shot. I really wanna make sure this thing works before ordering 400$ screen and lid.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It needs to be in clamshell mode. If it thinks it has access to the built-in display, it may give preference to that.

8. Paperpusher34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Paperpusher34

I hooked up Apple keyboard and Apple mouse. Plugged into power and had mdp to hdmi hooked up, turned it on and nothing, I then turned it off and back on in recovery mode still nothing.

9. jerwin macrumors 68000

Nothing? As in no signal?

Or a grey pattern?

If it's the latter, try booting up, then closing the macbook's screen.

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Just to be extra explicit, the machine needs to have its screen closed as if putting it to sleep. I suppose you would hit the power button and then immediately close the lid.

Also, did you do the resets I mentioned?

11. Paperpusher34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Paperpusher34

If
    it just says no signal on my external.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    How do I do the resets ?

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

13. Paperpusher34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Paperpusher34

Ok I did this and it restarted and chimed three times total. I shut clam shell and still says no signal on my tv.
    Oh it worked. Lol I'm dazing off wondering what happened and it worked lol. It's showing a flashing folder with question mark and the computer seems to be getting hot really quick
    Ok I shut it down, the fan was going full speed and there was a lot of heat at back on computer after only being on one minute or so.

14. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

If you have the tools to open the mac, then you should do that and disconnect the screen cable. that way it will always go for the external monitor and you can still use the built-in keyboard and trackpad

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...y+Mid+2015+Display+Assembly+Replacement/55925
    step 1-5 and step 10, remember to reconnect the battery. if you have insulation tape maybe place a little over the end of the cable