Bought 3GS in Dec, #639* already showing eligible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Jun 11, 2010.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Not quite sure why. My bill averages about $110 a month... And it's telling me I am eligible. "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

When I go to upgrade online, it takes me to the Premier store to shop for a phone, but never says anything about upgrade or eligibility, it just shows all these phones with "2 year commitment" price next to them all.

I wonder why they bumped me? I'm not complaining, but my guess is that I have had a lot of quality time on the phone with their engineers, tech support, micro cell, etc to try and resolve service issues, so maybe they are doing it for retention purposes because they are afraid with all the problems I've had, I might consider leaving them?

Therein lies the catch 22... Even if I am in fact eligible, do I *REALLY* want to put up with another 2 years of AT&T fun? I guess if they can get the micro cell working, the answer would be yes, but it's still a pain in the ass because every time I'm on the phone and I walk into my apartment I have to call my friends back because it doesn't automatically transfer the call to micro cell... And the micro cell does drop the 3G connection once or twice a day, not sure why it does that but hey, it's fabulous when it works! Oh wait, this is a discussion about upgrade! LOL

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

As I understand it, if your bill is more than $100 a month, you get yearly upgrades. Since this would have put your contract ending date in Dec/2010, that means you were bumped per that announcement

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm a little confused about something. If you purchase a 3GS with a 2 year plan in Dec 2009. The two year contract would be until Dec 2011. If you're eligible for an early full upgrade, does that just extend your contract until Dec 2013 with an additional 2 years?

4. coasterswim macrumors 6502

If you extended your contract in December, your contract is already out to Dec 2011. Buying an iPhone 4 only bumps it 6 months to June 2012.

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I'm confused because my friend got his phone in July of 09 and he's on a family plan and I'm sure his bill exceeds $100 and he's not eligible. He bought his phone at full unsubsidized as well. I joined with AT&T on launch day last year and my bill is only $80 a month and I'm eligible.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its only the primary line, its not the bill that needs to exceed 100 its the actual line, and that would only be the primary.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Don't be confused. My term date isn't until 4/2011 and I am upgrade-eligible.
    I spend about $140 a month.
    ATT realizes that based on your monthly spending, they are going to be able to recoup the subsidized price of the phone rather quickly, so you get the early upgrade.

it's pretty simple projected economics on their part. Some people with family plans don't get it because they don't average the >$100 per line like a lot of us single line users do.

That's how I interpret it anyways.

8. jasperk99 macrumors regular

Do you have to average $100 among the users on your plan or does the Primary user need to be over $100 because I purchased my 3gs on launch day. I am on a small business plan with 4 shared users; as the the primary line my bill is $155 per month yet they are saying I am not eligible until March 11

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I have a feeling you have to average it out to >$100 per line. That seems to be what most people on family/biz plans are running into as far as the upgrade.