Bought 6 and 6+, might use plus as an iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhoenixMac, Sep 20, 2014.

1. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

So yesterday I've received both phones and tried out the plus first. Initial impressions were this thing isn't too big. I'm taller (6`3) so it fits in all of my pockets no prob. I can walk around, sit down, kneel, tire my shoe no worries in my front pocket. In my back pocket I would only use for walking around in, would not sit on it at all though for fear of breaking it, this thing is thin. With Swype I can type one handed easily and with reachability could use all the features without using my other hand although I'm not a big fan of using it yet maybe will with time.

The main cons for using the plus as a daily driver for me are:

Privacy, anyone close can see exactly what your doing no problems.

Hassle of putting it in and out of pockets.

But that's all of the cons I've seen so far, I'm debating on keeping it and using it as a more portable iPad mini that I can switch my SIM into at Will and use it for places with long wait times, i.e. restaurants, theme park rides, road trips.

Anyone else besides reviewers get both and use it like you normally would?

So far the 6 is perfect as a daily driver and I got both phones for free as I just added new lines and sold the unlimited data lines that came with them.

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I don't currently own either however at some point I suspect I'll go out and buy an iPhone 6 Plus.

With that said, that does seem a tad odd to me? I mean, the iPhone 6 Plus is a bit of an expensive iPad.

It's up to you really but in your position I'd probably return the 6 Plus and get an iPad Mini or something along those lines with that usage case in mind.

3. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Not to mention it's closer in size to the 5s than to the ipad mini.

4. jds4300 macrumors member

The Plus isn't even close to being an iPad alternative. That goes for either iPad.

5. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I ordered both and plan on using the 6 as my daily carry around phone. I have the 6 now. Then I'll use the 6+ when I want something bigger. If I know I'll be using the internet a lot or using GPS or stuff like that. Of course I'm not real sure what I'll do because I am still waiting on Apple to release enough 6+'s to Verizon to fill my order.

6. themyst macrumors 6502

I just scored a mint iPad Mini retina cellular AT&T for $250... Cheaper and better solution than using a $750+ iPhone 6+ as a tablet.

7. jackwills macrumors regular

jackwills

The 6 plus is too big as a phone, too small as a tablet

8. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

Wow. Do you realize that not only are you more intelligent than the executives at apple, you are more intelligent than the millions and millions of us that were duped into the Plus? You must be a genius or something.

9. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

OP, I would just return both and get the Note 4.
    Seriously tho, return the 6 and use the Plus

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Remember, the 6+ will not be able to access iPad apps.

11. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

You use your iPhone as a phone?

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

That makes no sense at all. Just return the iPhone 6+ and get an ipad to use as an ipad with better specs for LESS.

13. Lachhh macrumors regular

Whatever works for you, OP.
    Personally I think it's silly. The 6 Plus is nowhere near providing the kind of screen real-estate the iPad Mini offers. Also what other people said about losing out on iPad-only & iPad versions of applications, which are often far nicer laid out and make better use of the screen real estate.

If you feel the 6 Plus replaces a tablet for you, then sell the 6. Don't see any point in keeping two phones around but that's just me.

14. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

I got both my self, at first I thought the 6 plus was too big because at the time I was still using my iPhone 5S and wold play around with the 6 and 6 Plus only when i was home.

The 6 I couldn't see worth the upgrade (for me I paid full price for my devices) due to the minimal battery upgrade as that was my main reason to upgrade this year alone. The screen size was actually perfect on the 6 i must say for those that are still looking only for a phone and have a dedicated tablet for use at all times.

Because I wanted the larger battery (which now lasts me good 12-14 hours) was the main reason I went with the 6+. Also after using the 6+ for a few days, It became normal for me and I no longer feel that it is too big except maybe when I have limited pocket space.

It is still larger yes i would say but also I do not have a tablet, I held back on getting the mini last year after i sold my iPad mini 1st gen and made it through just with 5S and macbook. I wanted to get a tablet this year, but the 6+ for the amount of reading I do on the go, is perfect for me.

As for privacy, you can always put the brightness down or get one of those privacy protective films.

hope that helps.

15. cardfan macrumors 65816

Unless the 6 plus can change aspect ratio, run iPad apps, and become an 8" screen or bigger, then no, it can't be used as an iPad.

16. sillywabbit, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Return the 6, it is not much different than the 5s. It is only ever so slightly bigger and definitely not worth the upgrade.

Just keep the plus for a while and see if you really need a tablet.

My intentions were to buy a tablet when the be ones were announced. After buying the plus for about a month, i realized I no longer need a tablet and I can pretty much what I need to do on my plus.

Saved myself a pretty penny.

Besides, these iPhones are disposable now and are absolutely not worth the $700 or more. You can buy a used MacBook Pro 13 and keep your Plus.

17. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

So you are thinking of carrying both devices around with you daily lol?

I have the 6+ and have had it since release. I haven't used my iPad since.

In bed at night i watch Netflix/BBCiPlayer/surf net etc on the 6+ no problems. It actually is easier for me to hold while laying down.

I think if you really want to carry both devices about then do so, but i'd think just concentrating on the one device would be better, easier, less space, etc

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My plus replaced my ipad mini. I don't care what anybody says lol.

That said, if all you want is a second device as an iPad, why not do just that; buy an iPad. It's your money obviously, but it's like a $300+ difference.