Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robotti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
My previous setup was an 8-core, 16-thread Windows workstation and a 4-core, 8-thread i7MacBook Pro. Now I've decided to replace both of them with the new 8-core i9 MacBook Pro.

When I'm using Lightroom, I only ever get maximum of half the CPU threads working for me, and sometimes even less than that. For example, converting to DNG and exporting, I never get full thread usage, It varies between 50% and 25%. On Windows, I get 100% every time, all the time. Is there a specific setting buried somewhere, or does Lightroom for Mac scale for i7 and i9 so much worse than on Windows? Right now, it's a pain working on this MacBook. Converting those DNG's takes 3-4 time longer than on Windows. The difference is massive.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I don't have your specific hardware, but on an iMac Pro doing a very large .cr2 to DNG export I'm seeing all virtual cpus (36) being used. Use graphics processor is set to auto.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.34.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.34.49 AM.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 86

Robotti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
It's the latest version as of now, 9.0. Something odd happened. I connected the laptop to an external display, and now it's working as expected. All cores running at full speed in Lightroom. Even when I disconnect it from the display. Maybe it was some kind of configuration issue that resolved itself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.