Bought 8GB RAM modules for $52.99..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applefanboy98, Jul 26, 2011.

1. applefanboy98 macrumors newbie

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Judging by the reviews, it appears it has been working in the macbook pros.

Ps. Your title says 8gb ram modules, clearly it should be 4gb*2

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sorry for hijack thread. But I have a plan to upgrade my iMac into 12GB of RAM, you know .. add 2x4GB RAM kit to standard 4GB. But would any RAM module works for 2011 iMac?

Apple on its support page clearly says you can insert ANY RAM module which is SO-DIMM (of course), PC10666 1333MHz .. that's all! Is that true?

My local computer store offer some brand like Corsair, Kingston or Patriot KIT which said to be "Made for Mac/Apple". And they sell it for around 20% more !! Just for :apple: ready label?? Should I bit the bullet and get special RAM for Mac, or any RAM would be okay?

Does RAM with "Apple Ready" label is a gimmick? Or is it true to the heart? Please enlighten me

4. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

This is all you need to know:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148345

I installed this kit today and my i7 is blazing!

5. feeth macrumors 6502

6. vslo macrumors regular

In my case, 8gb made the system very unstable. Crashing all the time due to memory fault. But I made a day of test and both modules are OK as the 4 memory SLOTS. I think the i3 3.06ghz get very unstable with 4 DDR3 modules. I mean, its meant to work in triple channel, but iMac does not support it. So its already running "in sacrifice". There is a thread in Apple Forums with many people complaining about it. Many do use 8gb but don't make stress test to see if the system is stable at all. They will discover the instability after some months, or weeks, when their system crashes and their iMac start to beep.

Install it, download prime 95 and run memory stress tests.