Bought a 13" Macbook pro - makes a strange noise whenever I move it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jb7, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jb7 macrumors member

Hi, I have recently bought a 13" Macbook pro from a friend, and I normally use it on my lap. The thing is, sometimes when I move it, it makes a quick strange noise. The sound is a bit like the sound you get if you hit a soda can /deodorant can with a pen.. I'm pretty sure something inside is hitting the aluminum casing

It seems like this noise is coming from inside the DVD drive, I opened up the main casing and saw nothing out of place so I guess that confirms it's the DVD drive. Is this noise 'normal?' I've read online that the split second noise is just the sudden motion sensor protecting the hard drive.. but I used to own the same macbook pro 13" model and that one never made this noise. Also I'm convinced it's coming from the dvd drive, although I could be wrong

please help.. thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Since you recently bought it, I'd take it in to the Apple store and ask them to fix it under warranty. It shouldn't be making such noises. It sounds like the optical drive may need to be replaced.

3. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    New 13 pro owner here too. I have noticed that noise when I move my Mac when it is turned on. I could buy the theory that its the HD motion sensor kicking in. Anyway, it doesn't concern me.

PS. You did buy applecare didn't you?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not the optical drive. That drive makes no noise at all, unless you have a CD/DVD in it. It's most likely your sudden motion sensor, especially since you only hear it when you're moving your MBP.

5. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Wow, interesting......

I don't know about actually removing parts, as that would most certainly void the warranty, but I like the idea of putting a small piece of electrical tape on the inside cover on the spot that makes contact. I'll wait a while to see how often the sound occurs before any Macbook surgery. :rolleyes: