Bought a 15 inch, glossy. Mistake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolf99, Apr 18, 2010.

1. wolf99 macrumors newbie

Hello

After waiting a long time for my first mac ;) I finally bought the 15 inch, i7, glossy.

But now I'm not so sure anymore. It's a little bit like a mirror and hurts my eyes. On the other side I'm not sure, if the high resolution - which I would have to order in reason of Anti-Glare - wouldn't be to small for me.

It makes me wonder. My last notebook was a Sony Vaio and it wasn't as glossy as this one.

What are your experiences? Thank you very much...

2. kolax macrumors G3

The glass over the glossy screen just amplifies reflections. Antiglare is worth it.

You'll adjust to the resolution.

3. Smoothie97 macrumors member

You made a mistake. I also bought a 15" i7 in the Apple Retail Store. I was able to return it (even to a different retail store) for 100% refund. I got the 15" i7, high-resolution with anti-glare display instead. Read my thread here. Hope it helps. You will adjust to the smaller texts quickly and realize how you've ever lived without high-resolution.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=898882

4. wolf99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your quick response. And you think I'll adjust to the resolution? Sounds good. And - in the worst case - would a "down"-change of the resolution causes problems?

Should I nearby upgrade to a HDD with 7200 in this way? I had doubts because of noise and temperature.

5. Smoothie97 macrumors member

If you get the 1680 x 1050 display, you do NOT want to change the resolution to anything smaller. The screen's native resolution is 1680 x 1050 and is best to keep it that way. If you go smaller, sure text will appear larger, but you will see that the text and images will appear grainy and have fuzz edges.

It's only $50 to upgrade to 7200 RPM and it's worth it if you don't have any protective accessories. For me, I avoided 7200 RPM because my MBP has the Speck Satin covers and will have Moshi Palmguard and Moshi Clearguard keyboard protector. Since a lot of heat radiates from the keyboard and palm area, I don't want any additional heat that 7200 RPM HD would produce.

6. iamKamil macrumors member

iamKamil

7. mediaprodguy macrumors member

Thanks to everyones advice - I was able to return mine as well and get the matte finish, corei7

8. zMudvayne macrumors member

Only YOU can decide if you've made a mistake, not these other people jumping to conclusions that you did. Have you tested the machine at home? In store the lights are bright and the reflections are bad, but in use the glossy display is very vibrant and beautiful. The high resolution is a great addition, but antiglare is not a must. If it hurts your eyes, get antiglare. If you use it in lighting that doesn't bother them, keep it. As a student, glossy displays are great for dimmed use in class to extend battery life.

9. laela macrumors regular

laela

It's definitely a mistake.

The way it goes is that with Apple Glassy you start out as wow'ed and happy and become progressively unhappier and confused as time goes along (those reflections frack with your mind).

With anti-glare it's the other way around. You start out as confused (because it is so different from the Glassy design) but become progressively happier as you realize how great the screen really is and that you made the right decision.

10. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

I completely agree with zMudvayne. To me its all about personal preference. I personally prefer the glossy screen. I don't mind the anti-glare but it reminds me too much of a PC screen and I really think that the silver bevel on the anti-glare versions takes away from the aesthetic advantages of the MBP's design (although it should be said that to me, functionality is more important than looks when it comes to a laptop). In my opinion, the colors look more vibrant on the glossy screen. With that being said, if I was constantly using my computer outside (or was a photographer or graphics designer) than the anti-glare would probably be the best choice. But I always use mine inside (mostly in the library at school) and I don't have a problem with it at all. Bottom line is that it depends on two things: 1) personal preference and 2) use. You can find just as many people on this forum who love the glossy as those who hate it. Ultimately its up to you.

11. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

I've had anti glare and super glossy screens...and I like the super glossy screens better but it all depends what you are doing with it...

if you are a cafe squater you prob want a anti glare since you will be wanting random people to see you "doing work"

if you are a hippie who sits outside...then you are a hypocrite for being a consumer and sucking at the "mans" teat.

if you use it for school notes and mostly indoors, then get the glossy screen
    I've never had problems with the glossy screen in terms of glare and what not...what people don't know is if there is significant glare you can tilt your screen down the slightest bit and most of the glare goes away....

I couldn't justify the $100-$150 price increase on the machine for an antiglare that really doesn't add all that much

if you are a graphics designer then I can see getting an anti glare hi res and anyone else that consistently needs a matte screen

also what people should also know is that this time around its an anti glare coating is what I heard it is instead of pure matte...and if its anything like glasses the coating will eventually rub off and get coating scratches...and if you think the glare is annoying imagine purplish scratches all over your screen

12. gagaliya macrumors 6502

This has been discussed many many times, creating another 200 more threads about it will not change the result.

In a high light / outdoor environment, the anti glare screen is the only option.

In an indoor / ambient light environment, the glossy screen is brighter, has better contrast/deeper black, and just overall better picture quality than anti glare, especially for movies/multimedia.

So if you are the type that likes to be one with nature, and uses macbook pro sitting on a grass field, then get the anti glare.

But if you the pale skin never go out type, that only uses the macbook pro indoors / on a plane, get the glossy.

If you are both depends on the mood, get the anti glare.

Can we stop creating more threads about anti-glare vs glossy now please....

13. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I like the glass screens... easier to clean and it feels a stronger than a matte screen. I got tired of wiping out smudges on my matte screens (15" MBP non-unibody and a 12" PowerBook).

The screen is crisp, etc. I use my Macs inside mostly.

14. Coldmode macrumors regular

Do you people sit at your computer with a floodlight pointed at your glossy screens? I've never had a problem with my high gloss finish on my 15". If you're having problems, buy some shades for your windows or something. The color contrast and quality is worth adapting your working environment to the screen.

15. nconnella macrumors regular

Not a mistake. The glass and black bezel is so much cleaner and keeps your screen in better condition than an exposed one. I think the reflection concerns are way over hyped. But this is just my opinion. No one can tell you what YOU want. Only you can decide.

16. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I would like to see a photo of a high res screen running 1440x900. Anybody willing to do a comparison shot? 1440x900 and 1680x1050 on a high res display

17. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

Mine is matte finish, both my kids have glossy. typically within 5 minutes of using any of them, I've adjusted the screen to deal with whatever lighting situation there is and forget what I'm using. imo, it's not that big of a deal for most people. But the glass is definitely easier to keep clean. I am extremely careful with mine and cut off someone's finger if they touch my screen, but I still can't get it as clean and uniform as glass. Vive la difference.

mg

18. wolf99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your support.

I know I have to decide myself and I know there are a lot of threads about this topic.

I decided to open a new one because I don't know if the screen has changed in the new MacBook Pros?

In front of buying I searched a lot and decided to go with the glossy. One reason was, that I'm not sure about the High Resolution.

But like said, now I'm disappointed. I like the screen but it's to shiny for me. My last notebook was a Sony and it wasn't as shiny as this one.

So I think I have to change to Anti-Glare and to hope that I could handle the resolution as a people wearing glasses.

Thanks a lot

19. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Generally speaking you are asking a binary question of binary users. Most users have either an AG or glossy screen. Therefore, they are going to be biased to tell you that theirs is the better option for any number of personal preferences.

It really boils down to personal preferences. My first MBP had a matte finish and my second one had glossy. My older Sony Vaio had a glossy finish. I'm an office dweller and when I'm not working remotely I seldom use my laptop....I have an iMac for that. And unless something just changed with the refresh, iMac's come in glossy screens for a reason....those are optimized for normal indoor use.

I don't know many people (if any) have the new i7 Hires glossy yet...I've been watching for someone to show some pics on here and haven't seen any. Mine was ordered last Tuesday, will arrive tomorrow.

20. Quahog macrumors member

I just got the 15 inch i7 glossy (NOT hires)

I love the screen. Sure, I have only had it for 6 days, but no complaints from me.

This is my first Mac laptop, and I got my first mac ever (Imac 24 inch) last summer, but I have had countless PC laptops, all with a matte screen.

In my opinion, I think think a matte screen performs worse in the Florida sun. Matte LCD screens appear darker in very bright light, where a glossy screen can have reflection issues, you can just adjust the screen to compensate.

I am wondering if I should have gotten the hi-res screen, but I definitely am happy with the glossy screen.

There are pro's and con's to each, but the glossy screen has a better image.

There has to be a reason why every high-end LCD/LED television these days has a glossy screen...

21. magbarn macrumors 68000

Not so much with this current generation of 7200 rpm drives. I find they run at about the same temperature now as contemporary 5400 drives. Platter count seems to have a higher impact on temperature these days.

For the op's question: if you're going to be using your mbp indoors I'd keep the
    Glossy screen. I've had 2 generations of mbp now with glossy screens and I'd take it again any day. In fact, I have a cto hi Rez 15 on order

22. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Did you take any time at all to look at the different models before purchasing?? Even in a store you can tell the difference. I can't believe how many of these threads I see on a daily basis... :mad:

23. Ollebro macrumors newbie

24. JerseyBill macrumors member

Yes, that is a really good point - that there are only two choices and everyone owning a MBP has made that choice. Thus, there are personal reasons why each person thinks they made the right choice - and you can never get to any "right" answer because there is none.

I will finally be ordering my MBP within the next week or so and I have read every thread on this - and am still undecided. I almost never use a machine outdoors or in high glare and want the truest clearest image possible. However, some people here say that photographers and graphics designers should opt for the matte - which confuses me if they should be concerned with the very best color balance and replication.

I am pretty sure I want to go for the hi-res glossy in a 17" computer, intending to use it for Photoshop, video editing and some graphics design as primary apps. Still, before I decide I will just have to go to the Apple Store on 5th Avenue and see them all side by side....

25. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Stay with glossy for these reasons:

1: Apple charging for anti-glare is a sick joke.
    2: Media, movies, photos etc look much better on glossy.
    3: Silver bezel on anti glare is a right half arsed mess, really spoils the look of the laptop.
    4: Worth it just to piss off all the nuggets that say glossy is pants!