Bought a 15 inch pro. Need to find ONE cable that does it all, the best.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audirs5, Jun 13, 2017.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

So one big issue I'm having is finding ONE cable that can charge at the full rate that my charging block has, BUT ALSO transfers speeds for USB 3.1 and anything else.

I don't care about the price, I need to find ONE good quality cable that I can purchase a few of.

Also - best usb A to usb c adapter for my older peripherals

thank you

2. leman macrumors G3

I think that Monoprice has a good quality TB3 cable that fully supports the spec? Other then that, haven't seen anything. Particularly in Europe, such cables are hard to find.

3. audirs5, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm willing to have one for charging and one for the fastest data no matter what. That seems to be my only alternative
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pr...id=103&categoryid=10303&subcategoryid=1030319

I might be wrong. This does 10gbps AND 100 watts of power ! But it only seems to be 1.5 feet long

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't have one that does this?

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

This only exists in 0.5m lengths.

Anything longer loses some feature(s):

___

Apple's USB-C Charge Cable only supports USB 2. The Belkin cables they sell on the other hand are only 60W and 0.9 metres long.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see, thanks for providing the details. I was unaware of that fact :)

7. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

8. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Damn, I bought one of those Belkin cables a few weeks ago completely unaware charging was capped at 60w.

I'm interested to see what others have, as well. Ideally I'd like the longest possible cable which also supports TB3 and 87w charging capability. Looks like Monoprice may be the best bet

9. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Wait what? The 2m long only supports USB 2? :eek:

Ironic that apple has USB-C only laptops yet they don't have any USB-C to USB-C 0.5m cables. They only have USB-C to Lightning cables in that length. the iPhones and Mac team really needs to get out of their little bubbles and talk to each other about the direction they want to the company to take. o_O

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

CalDigit make a good 2m Thunderbolt 3 cable with 100W support. But as my above post said, Thunderbolt 3 cables longer than 0.5m only support USB 2.

Actually they don't even make a USB-C to Lightning cable in 0.5m!

11. audirs5, Jun 14, 2017

audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what it's coming down to is, 1 cable for charging full 100 watt (since we need more than .5 M) and for everything else, get the other cables?

In YOUR ideal world.. Can you tell me what 2 cables you would pick?

1 for your SSD's (I'm getting Samsung SSD's so its 3.1 and I'd like to keep that speed. this can be any size)
    1 for you 15 inch pro to charge the fastest possible. (this one can be 2m long) I'm thinking of just getting Apple branded ones for charging and 3rd party for transfer speed.

:)
    (https://www.amazon.com/Cable-CableC..._rd_wg=2GTIF&refRID=K1BW0M60210SZD7DG87K&th=1)
    Thanks!

side question: would me using one of these cables with a usb adapter make my iphone transfer faster, or would that still be the same if I got Apples lighting to usb C ?

12. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

One cable cannot "do it all".

That's the nature of (and the problem with) USB-c.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

This new USB-C world sure is fun and simple!
    /s

14. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wtf... Weren't' we suppose to be simplifying this procedure?

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Well - The "plug" is better at least...
    What gets plugged in and what that can do however is still a mixed bag of confusion sadly.

16. killawat, Jun 14, 2017

killawat macrumors 65816

I understand the desire for a single cable to rule them all but the I think power delivery(PD) is one area where it's ok to use the OEM cable that is fit for purpose. In this scenario (on our Macs) I don think the thought is that you can use old cable to deliver 85w, but the primary benefit is that you get to choose your power source (dock, monitor, power adapter) and The flexibility to pick which side that is most convenient for you (on the four port models). Think of it like the duck head leads on the power box. We can't use any old three prong cord that most people have hundreds of, just a dedicated cord.

So for PD I would, again, choose the OEM apple solution. For devices I would spend a little extra for cables that are USB-IF Certified and Approved by Benson Leung tested (long story) if possible. The belkin usb-c cord om Apples website (and I suspect in store too) is Certified up to 10 Gbps (usb 3.1 gen 2) which means it should work for quite a while. It's speedy but there are cheaper options on amazon. Again USB-if compliance is key.