Bought a 15" MBP -- Should I return and just wait?

jdavin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
1
0
Hey guys I bought a 15" 2.66 C2D MBP about a week or so ago (Feb 20), then when i was randomly browsing this forum i found the "I'm waiting for Arrandale" thread and found out about the upcoming refresh. Where I need help is that day 14 of my return period is coming up soon, so i was wondering if i should just return it then(i dont mind the restocking fee as much as i mind buying something that i think is hot stuff only to find out something newer is coming out around the corner), and just wait for Mr. Arrandale to come. I dont really NEED this laptop atm just kind of want a new one since my old 17" vaio is pretty much gone.. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :D
 

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35,743
141
Does the notebook do exactly what you want it to do if not more? then no. you could be waiting a very very long time.
 

aeronauticsrock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
83
0
Believe me, its a dangerous game to play with the waiting.

You'll think "Oh it wont be that bad, should be next Tuesday"
You'll start checking the thread more and more frequently, exponentially
You'll ignore veterans who say "There havent been nearly enough signs..."
The obsession just grows.

In my book, not worth it.
 

webtoker

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
43
0
Hey guys I bought a 15" 2.66 C2D MBP about a week or so ago (Feb 20), then when i was randomly browsing this forum i found the "I'm waiting for Arrandale" thread and found out about the upcoming refresh. Where I need help is that day 14 of my return period is coming up soon, so i was wondering if i should just return it then(i dont mind the restocking fee as much as i mind buying something that i think is hot stuff only to find out something newer is coming out around the corner), and just wait for Mr. Arrandale to come. I dont really NEED this laptop atm just kind of want a new one since my old 17" vaio is pretty much gone.. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :D

Leave before you become infected with the waiting for Arrandale virus.
 

Bosman

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
81
0
Forget waiting my friend, i am not going to indulge you and convince you to return it. I have been expecting the new MBPs since Oct 2009! Use it and love it!
I have a mac pro so i am not dead in the water but the portability is something i really want yet i haven't held out this long for nothing. I expect June will be a good month!
 

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
5,259
1
I'd say just enjoy it now.

i5/i7 wont give you anything more than what you already have.
 

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
940
100
Brooklyn, NYC
return it, join us.
It can't be much longer now
Yes Join us, feel the pain we endure every week.
The overwhelming agony every Tuesday is just priceless. . . I wouldn't trade it for a new MBP ever *sarcasm*

Ultimately it's up to you If you're an average user with no real heavy duty work I'd suggest you keep it. It's still pretty fast for your everyday needs!

::Shivers as I wait by the Arrandale thread:: :(
 

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
183
23
Whether it meets your needs or not I find it absurd to pay full price for a piece of technology that's in many ways almost 1 1/2 old. If Apple continued to reduce prices to reflect the outdated technology, that would be another thing. It's one thing if you have to have an MBP now, and another if you just want it. People justify their buys by saying "it meets my needs so I don't care if it's old". The fact is they are still paying way more than the product is worth (even in Apple terms) and to me that's throwing money away. We already pay a premium to own Apple products, which I'm fine with. But I refuse to pay the premium on completely outdated stuff. If I were you, if there was ANY way to wait, I would. To me the biggest thing is the GPU. The processor isn't bad at all but the MBP really needs a boost in the graphics department.

Just my two cents of course. I'm sure many others feel differently because MBP's are still flying off the shelves like hot cakes.
 

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
185
0
USA
If you like being happy & productive, keep it. If you like misery & doubt, return it and join those of us waiting for the refresh.
 

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
19,708
4,274
"Between the Hedges"
Just remember, many of the same ones who are waiting now in these threads will be creating new ones soon after the release to proclaim what an utter and dismal failure the update is... while you will be happily using your computer
 

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
5,259
1
Just remember, many of the same ones who are waiting now in these threads will be creating new ones soon after the release to proclaim what an utter and dismal failure the update is... while you will be happily using your computer
 

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35,743
141
Pretty sure this happened to me once. I needed lotion for my dry hands and Goldbond had a ultimate lotion for really dry skin. I bought it, got home and saw a commercial for Goldbond Clinical Strength. I was pissed.
 

Crath

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
22
0
Whether it meets your needs or not I find it absurd to pay full price for a piece of technology that's in many ways almost 1 1/2 old. If Apple continued to reduce prices to reflect the outdated technology, that would be another thing. It's one thing if you have to have an MBP now, and another if you just want it. People justify their buys by saying "it meets my needs so I don't care if it's old". The fact is they are still paying way more than the product is worth (even in Apple terms) and to me that's throwing money away. We already pay a premium to own Apple products, which I'm fine with. But I refuse to pay the premium on completely outdated stuff. If I were you, if there was ANY way to wait, I would. To me the biggest thing is the GPU. The processor isn't bad at all but the MBP really needs a boost in the graphics department.

Just my two cents of course. I'm sure many others feel differently because MBP's are still flying off the shelves like hot cakes.
Wow... you make a very good point... damnit!
 

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
340
0
I've been back and forth on this, even so far as to have cancelled a CTO order today for a 17" 3.06 right before it went to assembly.

The Core i5/i7 is nice and all, but I think for most the upgrade will be a little anti-climactic. This is going to be a speed bump, not a revolution. A 2.8GHz 15" will be ample for what you need it to do and the update won't be a significant change otherwise.

As for me, I've caught the disease and keep waiting it out despite my better judgment. Had I never heard about the update I'd be happily working on my new 17" for 6 weeks now. Bah.
 

Imperil

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
68
0
If you do return it then you should realize you won't have a computer likely until WWDC at the earliest... so another three months or so. Also you'll be watching these forums every single Tuesday until June (like a lot of guys have been doing for 2-4 months) and being let down.
 

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
185
0
USA
If you do return it then you should realize you won't have a computer likely until WWDC at the earliest... so another three months or so. Also you'll be watching these forums every single Tuesday until June (like a lot of guys have been doing for 2-4 months) and being let down.
Opinions are divided on whether it will take until WWDC, but I think the point remains... if you return it, be prepared to wait until WWDC and be pleasantly surprised if it comes out sooner.
 

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
455
16
New York
I've been close to pulling the trigger and buying a 15'' or 17'' mbp the last few weeks but I can't. It's not that I care for an i5/i7 over a c2d, I have no need for all that power, but rather I refuse to pay $2500 for such an old processor.. also I'm looking for other things in this refresh like a higher res screen and stuff like that.
 

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
340
0
I've been close to pulling the trigger and buying a 15'' or 17'' mbp the last few weeks but I can't. It's not that I care for an i5/i7 over a c2d, I have no need for all that power, but rather I refuse to pay $2500 for such an old processor.. also I'm looking for other things in this refresh like a higher res screen and stuff like that.
The only "inside" info I've gotten--and it seems like decent quality info--says that there won't be any display changes in the update.
 

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
455
16
New York
The only "inside" info I've gotten--and it seems like decent quality info--says that there won't be any display changes in the update.
if thats true then that's sad to hear.. I was hoping for a bump up in resolution for the 15'', I sold my 13'' mbp to get a laptop with more screen real estate and 15'' isn't that much better. Looks like its the 17'' for me and I'd probably wait anyway for the other reason I mentioned.
 

oldgeezers940

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
113
0
Whether it meets your needs or not I find it absurd to pay full price for a piece of technology that's in many ways almost 1 1/2 old. If Apple continued to reduce prices to reflect the outdated technology, that would be another thing. It's one thing if you have to have an MBP now, and another if you just want it. People justify their buys by saying "it meets my needs so I don't care if it's old". The fact is they are still paying way more than the product is worth (even in Apple terms) and to me that's throwing money away. We already pay a premium to own Apple products, which I'm fine with. But I refuse to pay the premium on completely outdated stuff. If I were you, if there was ANY way to wait, I would. To me the biggest thing is the GPU. The processor isn't bad at all but the MBP really needs a boost in the graphics department.

Just my two cents of course. I'm sure many others feel differently because MBP's are still flying off the shelves like hot cakes.

On the opposite side of that coin, maybe it is a good idea to buy now because you know you are getting a solid piece of equipment. The chances of the new MBPs having some sort of issues for the first month or so isn't something to just ignore, is it? So while buying now would be paying more for outdated technology, you would also be getting a more stable unit with a much lower likelihood of issues.

Does that logic make sense? If the prices were reduced slightly I'd be all over the current model...