Bought a 15" MBP -- Should I return and just wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdavin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jdavin macrumors newbie

Hey guys I bought a 15" 2.66 C2D MBP about a week or so ago (Feb 20), then when i was randomly browsing this forum i found the "I'm waiting for Arrandale" thread and found out about the upcoming refresh. Where I need help is that day 14 of my return period is coming up soon, so i was wondering if i should just return it then(i dont mind the restocking fee as much as i mind buying something that i think is hot stuff only to find out something newer is coming out around the corner), and just wait for Mr. Arrandale to come. I dont really NEED this laptop atm just kind of want a new one since my old 17" vaio is pretty much gone.. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :D

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does the notebook do exactly what you want it to do if not more? then no. you could be waiting a very very long time.

3. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

Believe me, its a dangerous game to play with the waiting.

You'll think "Oh it wont be that bad, should be next Tuesday"
    You'll start checking the thread more and more frequently, exponentially
    You'll ignore veterans who say "There havent been nearly enough signs..."
    The obsession just grows.

In my book, not worth it.

4. webtoker macrumors member

Leave before you become infected with the waiting for Arrandale virus.

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

6. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

return it, join us.
    It can't be much longer now

7. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

Forget waiting my friend, i am not going to indulge you and convince you to return it. I have been expecting the new MBPs since Oct 2009! Use it and love it!
    I have a mac pro so i am not dead in the water but the portability is something i really want yet i haven't held out this long for nothing. I expect June will be a good month!

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd say just enjoy it now.

i5/i7 wont give you anything more than what you already have.

9. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Yes Join us, feel the pain we endure every week.
    The overwhelming agony every Tuesday is just priceless. . . I wouldn't trade it for a new MBP ever *sarcasm*

Ultimately it's up to you If you're an average user with no real heavy duty work I'd suggest you keep it. It's still pretty fast for your everyday needs!

::Shivers as I wait by the Arrandale thread:: :(

10. nconnella macrumors regular

Whether it meets your needs or not I find it absurd to pay full price for a piece of technology that's in many ways almost 1 1/2 old. If Apple continued to reduce prices to reflect the outdated technology, that would be another thing. It's one thing if you have to have an MBP now, and another if you just want it. People justify their buys by saying "it meets my needs so I don't care if it's old". The fact is they are still paying way more than the product is worth (even in Apple terms) and to me that's throwing money away. We already pay a premium to own Apple products, which I'm fine with. But I refuse to pay the premium on completely outdated stuff. If I were you, if there was ANY way to wait, I would. To me the biggest thing is the GPU. The processor isn't bad at all but the MBP really needs a boost in the graphics department.

Just my two cents of course. I'm sure many others feel differently because MBP's are still flying off the shelves like hot cakes.

11. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

+1000K

Run, Hide. Delete your Macrumors ID. Leave now and enjoy your computer. The rest of use are doomed here...

12. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

If you like being happy & productive, keep it. If you like misery & doubt, return it and join those of us waiting for the refresh.

13. 25ml macrumors newbie

+2. I own a MacBook Pro 2.66 15" and I wish the GPU was better ;-(

14. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Just remember, many of the same ones who are waiting now in these threads will be creating new ones soon after the release to proclaim what an utter and dismal failure the update is... while you will be happily using your computer

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

[​IMG]

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure this happened to me once. I needed lotion for my dry hands and Goldbond had a ultimate lotion for really dry skin. I bought it, got home and saw a commercial for Goldbond Clinical Strength. I was pissed.

17. Crath macrumors newbie

Wow... you make a very good point... damnit!

18. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I've been back and forth on this, even so far as to have cancelled a CTO order today for a 17" 3.06 right before it went to assembly.

The Core i5/i7 is nice and all, but I think for most the upgrade will be a little anti-climactic. This is going to be a speed bump, not a revolution. A 2.8GHz 15" will be ample for what you need it to do and the update won't be a significant change otherwise.

As for me, I've caught the disease and keep waiting it out despite my better judgment. Had I never heard about the update I'd be happily working on my new 17" for 6 weeks now. Bah.

19. Imperil macrumors member

If you do return it then you should realize you won't have a computer likely until WWDC at the earliest... so another three months or so. Also you'll be watching these forums every single Tuesday until June (like a lot of guys have been doing for 2-4 months) and being let down.

20. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Opinions are divided on whether it will take until WWDC, but I think the point remains... if you return it, be prepared to wait until WWDC and be pleasantly surprised if it comes out sooner.

21. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I've been close to pulling the trigger and buying a 15'' or 17'' mbp the last few weeks but I can't. It's not that I care for an i5/i7 over a c2d, I have no need for all that power, but rather I refuse to pay $2500 for such an old processor.. also I'm looking for other things in this refresh like a higher res screen and stuff like that.

22. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

The only "inside" info I've gotten--and it seems like decent quality info--says that there won't be any display changes in the update.

23. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

if thats true then that's sad to hear.. I was hoping for a bump up in resolution for the 15'', I sold my 13'' mbp to get a laptop with more screen real estate and 15'' isn't that much better. Looks like its the 17'' for me and I'd probably wait anyway for the other reason I mentioned.

24. oldgeezers940 macrumors regular

On the opposite side of that coin, maybe it is a good idea to buy now because you know you are getting a solid piece of equipment. The chances of the new MBPs having some sort of issues for the first month or so isn't something to just ignore, is it? So while buying now would be paying more for outdated technology, you would also be getting a more stable unit with a much lower likelihood of issues.

Does that logic make sense? If the prices were reduced slightly I'd be all over the current model...

25. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I would absolutely buy now if they reduced the price even a little below the education prices