Bought a 17" MBP but haven't opened it yet. Please advise...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by germ79, Jun 23, 2010.

1. germ79 macrumors newbie

Ok, here's the deal. I had decided to buy a 17" MBP a few weeks ago and just the other day my 20" iMac (which is 5 years old) crapped out. It seems to be the logic board, which was replaced last year (for free by Apple) because there were faulty logic boards in some models.

So, I thought I would go in and let it be known that I was there to buy a new MBP, but also that I expected something to be done about my iMac. I got there today and there were no other "appointments" available to have my iMac diagnosed. So, I went ahead and bought the 17", but haven't opened it yet. I have an appt. for Friday to have my iMac looked at.

Here is where I am coming from. I dropped like $2500 on that iMac when I bought it 5 years ago and had to have a faulty logic board replaced. However, it would seem they replaced it with another faulty logic board, as it has done the same thing again. I don't know about you, but when I spend that kind of money on a computer, I don't expect that it will be "disposable" as a cheap PC would be. I have a 10 year old PC that still works fine and cost $400!

Am I being unreasonable? Should I be trying to use my dropping of another $2500 on an Apple computer as leverage for getting my iMac fixed again? I will be devastated if something similar happens to my MBP in a few years!

Someone, please offer my your advise. I want to open my new MBP but need to decide what to do about my iMac first!

Thanks!

2. Reapur macrumors regular

Buy Apple Care. The iMac is 5 years old. Even if you had Apple Care on it that would have only covered it for 3 years, you got lucky because there was a recall but in all honesty they are not obligated to fix the iMac. I think you should just get over it and keep the MBP. You can ask them to fix it sure there may be some guarantee on the work they did, but dont get your hopes up and using your iMac as leverage is kinda shady, how would you like it if someone tried that on you ?

3. microcolt macrumors regular

I hear where your coming from with the dropping $2500 and all but forget about the iMac, just open up that 17" beast and enjoy it. :D Take care of your iMac later... if you even think it's really worth the trouble.

I spent about $5,000 something on my Mac Pro and I too know that in 5 years(maybe less) it will be gone and I'll probably move on and get one of Apple's new megasuperawesomecoolamazingsweetfast computers.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm really not sure I would be spending a whole lot of money on a 5-year-old machine. What if something else went wrong with it a few months down the road? What then?

Enjoy your MBP and make sure that you get an AppleCare for it.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

WOW...that is lame. Getting over the fact that OP dropped that much $ in it and it wasn't his fault? -__-